What store in Houston sells Black Powder?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 1

What store in Houston sells Black Powder?

Post by Doug.38PR »

I've tried Bass Pro Shop, Carter Country, Collectors Firearms, Academy. Pyrodex, 777 or some kind of substitute is all I ever find. What store sells actual Black Powder? (Goex or whatever). I'm wanting to reload .45 Colt and .44-40

shooter37

Re: What store in Houston sells Black Powder?

Post by shooter37 »

It's hard to buy locally due to fire regs but you can mail order (+ hazmat fees). Try www.buffaloarms.com they will ship singles or case lots.
Good luck

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Give a call over to 10ring up on Jones Road? They specialize in reloading supplies. Haven't been in there in ages though.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

IIRC the substitutes are about all you will on the shelf. It was explained to me some time ago (when I bought a BP rifle) the true BP was inconsistent, didn't store as well and a few other factors... allegedly the differences were that substitutes are cleaner, more stable and more consistent. (and cheaper & easier to find)

I never tried real BP so I can't say much about it, but that my rifle with substitute shoot shockingly accurate and consistent. So much so that I see no need for a separate muzzle loader season! :fire

For 45 Colt - there is tons of load data for non BP. I'd rather not have to wait 60 seconds for the smoke to clear, to see if I hit the target! :lol:

Return to “Reloading Forum”