Frankford Perfect Seat Hand Primer

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
AndyC
Posts in topic: 4

Frankford Perfect Seat Hand Primer

Post by AndyC » Sun May 06, 2018 4:59 pm

This sounds like exactly what I need; I've always been irritated when I can't seat a primer any deeper, so I've ordered a set:
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Frankford Perfect Seat Hand Primer

Post by LTUME1978 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Andy,

Please provide a report once you have had a chance to put it through the paces. I have used a Lee priming tool for years and have developed the "touch" for the most part. However, some case/primer combinations are a challenge (Remington small pistol primer in a Winchester 9mm case are a bear).

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Sun May 06, 2018 8:54 pm

I sure will - I've used a Lee for decades but after having primers go sideways in 300 BLK and not being able to seat them as deep as I wanted, I bit the bullet on this.
Remember Kitty Genovese

There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Wed May 09, 2018 7:15 pm

It arrived today - haven't tried it out yet, but here it is compared to the Lee Auto-prime:

Remember Kitty Genovese

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:51 pm

AndyC wrote:I sure will - I've used a Lee for decades but after having primers go sideways in 300 BLK and not being able to seat them as deep as I wanted, I bit the bullet on this.
Andy, I hate to tell you but a sideways primer won't fully seat no matter what took you use. :biggrinjester:

I will be interested in seeing how it works.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:53 pm

Both Wilson and Harrell have had similar tools, marketed towards the benchrest crowd, for a number of years. I've got a couple collecting dust right now. If Lee had incorporated their feed tray - it would be ideal. My issue with the single shots has always been having to handle the primer (unless I'm missing something).
When any govt, or church,says This you can't read, are forbidden to know, the result is tyranny and oppression. Little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked; no force can control a free man, not the rack, bombs, not anything, you can't conquer a free man, at most you can kill him.

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 pm

There's a tray, you just can't see it in that photo, sorry - bad photographer:

This is some heavy-duty stuff; I could beat someone to death with this, it must weight over a pound easily.

Came with SP installed, so I primed a .300 BLK case and the primer fed up with a satisfying little "click"-feeling. I wanted a little deeper so I dialed the thing upwards (claims to change the depth 1-thou' per tactile click) and have it spot-on where I want it, just below the case-head. Very comfy in the hand and the leverage makes single-handed use a breeze. There's also a nice little sliding-tab to block the feed of primers; I think I like this a lot already.
jason812 wrote:Andy, I hate to tell you but a sideways primer won't fully seat no matter what took you use. :biggrinjester:
Smartypants :mrgreen:

No, the Lee has just worn down with extensive use, allowing too much movement in the chute - it was becoming ridiculous, so time for a new tool.
Remember Kitty Genovese

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:25 pm

That thing is a beast. I like how it is suppose to repeatedly seat the primer to the same depth and doesn't have to rely on feel.

BSHII

Post by BSHII » Fri May 18, 2018 10:22 pm

I have one, and love it. Other than the occasional double-feed and one jam that I was able to clear with a pencil, it has worked like a charm. Solid enough that I could probably run over it with a truck without hurting it, but I still get a good feel on the seating depth.

Return to “Reloading Forum”