Need Hornady Data for 6.5 Creedmoor

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Need Hornady Data for 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by flechero »

Helping a buddy get started in reloading and wanted to see if you guys had a Hornady book that shows the 143 gr. ELD-X, and might be willing to share with me? Maybe a pic of that particular page?

Thanks!!

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need Hornady Data for 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by jason812 »

It's listed on Hodgdon's website:
2018-05-17 14-12-55_Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data _ Hodgdon Reloading.jpg
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

I usually go there first but managed to miss it earlier. :oops:

Thanks!!
:tiphat:

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K-Texas »

Everyone seems to believe that H4350 is THE powder for the 6.5 CM. Then, as an alternate RL17. I'd like to mention a couple more that are lesser known but maybe even better. Norma N204 is available through all of the major web retailers like Powder Valley, Midway etc. It is a 4350 class powder like H, IMR and Accurate. It is however, the slowest burning of the group and very well suited to several 6.5mm cartridges like the 6.5 x 47mm Lapua, the CM and the .260 Rem and .260 Rem AI.

Another powder with a Norma (Bofors, Sweden) pedigree is RL16. Alliant says that it's slightly faster burning than RL17 (From Switzerland). I have not seen the evidence of that in SIERRA's data. Unfortunately, I don't think Hornady used either and Nosler used N204 only in .260 Rem, IIRC. They did use RL17 however. N204 is recommended by Norma as an accuracy powder and it's a good one.

Something I need to check on with the folks up at Western Powder Co, who is the US Distributor for Norma powders now, is about a recently discontinued powder they called URP. Coincidental to Norma dropping URP, Alliant introduces RL16 that appears to be a very similar powder while they state that it comes from Bofors in Sweden as all Norma powders do, as well as a good number of the Alliant RL series powders. The main difference being that Norma claims higher QC and manufacturing characteristics for their powders over what Bofors sells to Alliant.

There are, of course, some near duplicates like Norma MRP & RL22, N203B and RL15. The latter too are very close where testing in the 6.5 x 47mm Lapua showed the main difference to be higher charges by only .1 or .2 grs on N203B over RL15. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

My apologies for not correcting my last post sooner. Norma URP is alive and well. Western just shipped me 8#. I've been considering a 6.5mm project for some time, just haven't decided which one. Ordinarily, Norma load data tends to be fairly conservative, so it's quite interesting to see the data for 6.5 x 55mm Swede using URP. ;-)

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

K-Texas wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:04 pm Everyone seems to believe that H4350 is THE powder for the 6.5 CM. Then, as an alternate RL17. I'd like to mention a couple more that are lesser known but maybe even better. Norma N204 is available through all of the major web retailers like Powder Valley, Midway etc. It is a 4350 class powder like H, IMR and Accurate. It is however, the slowest burning of the group and very well suited to several 6.5mm cartridges like the 6.5 x 47mm Lapua, the CM and the .260 Rem and .260 Rem AI.

Another powder with a Norma (Bofors, Sweden) pedigree is RL16. Alliant says that it's slightly faster burning than RL17 (From Switzerland). I have not seen the evidence of that in SIERRA's data. Unfortunately, I don't think Hornady used either and Nosler used N204 only in .260 Rem, IIRC. They did use RL17 however. N204 is recommended by Norma as an accuracy powder and it's a good one.

Something I need to check on with the folks up at Western Powder Co, who is the US Distributor for Norma powders now, is about a recently discontinued powder they called URP. Coincidental to Norma dropping URP, Alliant introduces RL16 that appears to be a very similar powder while they state that it comes from Bofors in Sweden as all Norma powders do, as well as a good number of the Alliant RL series powders. The main difference being that Norma claims higher QC and manufacturing characteristics for their powders over what Bofors sells to Alliant.

There are, of course, some near duplicates like Norma MRP & RL22, N203B and RL15. The latter too are very close where testing in the 6.5 x 47mm Lapua showed the main difference to be higher charges by only .1 or .2 grs on N203B over RL15. ;-)
Every Long Range Shooter I know of (and I certainly don't know them all) are using RL 17-16 for the 6.5 CM
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

flintknapper wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:25 pm
K-Texas wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:04 pm Everyone seems to believe that H4350 is THE powder for the 6.5 CM. Then, as an alternate RL17. I'd like to mention a couple more that are lesser known but maybe even better. Norma N204 is available through all of the major web retailers like Powder Valley, Midway etc. It is a 4350 class powder like H, IMR and Accurate. It is however, the slowest burning of the group and very well suited to several 6.5mm cartridges like the 6.5 x 47mm Lapua, the CM and the .260 Rem and .260 Rem AI.

Every Long Range Shooter I know of (and I certainly don't know them all) are using RL 17-16 for the 6.5 CM
Particularly RL16 since I was last here. RL16 is the Alliant variant of Norma URP, Same situation as RL15/N203B and RL22/MRP. ;-)

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Selecting a powder for a given job is definitely more difficult than just following the pack. I'm gonna give a link for those who are loading the 6.5 CM, or think they may in the future. The article is about very specific powder selection with Quik-Load giving the precise numbers. For accuracy loads you'll see the handloaders/shooters striving for a final case-fill at 107%. That's 7% compression. In this excellent thread, the goal was to find powders at 100% case-fill while holding pressure to 60,000 PSI with the SAAMI Max Average Pressure, MAP, for the 6.5 CM being 62,000 PSI. So maybe you can get an idea about that extra 7% without exceeding the cartridge's MAP. Velocity is given, as is the percentage of powder burned. All factors very relevant to selecting long range precision loads. http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thread ... s.3941829/ ;-)

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Since my last post here I took delivery of 8# of Norma URP. Haven't bought a rifle yet and not even sure it will be 6.5 CM when I do. I have come up with a Wildcat of my own. If I go into all of the expense to develop it myself it will be proprietary. What I'm mostly interested in is the best performance possible without going to Magnum pressure level to get it as is the case for the 6.5 PRC. My cartridge may never see the light of day, but IMO, it's like a case of having my cake and eating it to. Performance similar to the .260 AI is what I'd like and at this point I can't rule out going that route.

Helped a range buddy chrono while fire-forming .260 REM to .260 AI. My first 3 rounds were 3/4" AT 100 YARDS with the .260 REM rounds. But that was with a custom with a 26" barrel with an M700 action. The idea for my wildcat came after that. ;-)

Return to “Reloading Forum”