Cleaning cases with pins

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 1

Cleaning cases with pins

Post by ET-Ret »

I went to Cabelas and bought a box of 5# of pins (Frankfort Arsnel)
I had purchased a Harbor Freight 2 drum about a month ago and now I am ready to try it out on some 9 mm
cases I wonder if any would care to offer a starting load for one drum.
amount of water, pins and cases as I have no experience with this process.
thanks .
Et-ret

warnmar10

Re: Cleaning cases with pins

Post by warnmar10 »

ET-Ret wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 pm I went to Cabelas and bought a box of 5# of pins (Frankfort Arsnel)
I had purchased a Harbor Freight 2 drum about a month ago and now I am ready to try it out on some 9 mm
cases I wonder if any would care to offer a starting load for one drum.
amount of water, pins and cases as I have no experience with this process.
thanks .
Et-ret
Fill the drum ~2/3 full of brass and stainless. Add enough water to just cover. I use an obscene amount of original blue Dawn for Dishes. I let them run ~4 hours. If there is a secret... separate the pins from brass under water. Water breaks the static tension between the case and pins and the pins just fall straight to the bottom. I don't use Lemi-Shine but everyone settles on their own foumula.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Run the drum with just pins water and soap for 2 hours. Empty the water and flush well with clean water. Put more water and soap in and now add your cases. Run for 2-3 hours. Enjoy your sparkling brass.

Odiferous

Post by Odiferous »

• 1 lb pins
  • 1 lb brass
  • hot water to cover (don't fill it to the brim)
  • 1/2 Tbsp or so of Wash & Wax, Dawn, or similar
  • pinch of Lemishine
  • 2 - 4 hrs runtime
You can play with any of the above, but be aware that adding too much Lemishine does not help and will instead discolor your brass.

Treetop

Post by Treetop »

It's not particularly important on pistol brass but if you deprime your rifle brass first (I use a Lee hand decapper) you will be rewarded with perfectly clean and beautiful primer pockets which will lead to more consistent ignition.

I do this every time I reload rifle brass and about every 2nd or third time on pistol brass. It takes time to do but I try to multi task by listening to Bible studies or news on YouTube while decapping. I like the looks of pristine brass! Hope this helps. Semper Fi, TreeTop
Life Member NRA
PSC member 1984-2015
Texas CHL holder since 1998
Sgt. USMC 1968-1971

flechero

Post by flechero »

Odiferous wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:49 am
  • 1 lb pins
  • 1 lb brass
  • hot water to cover (don't fill it to the brim)
  • 1/2 Tbsp or so of Wash & Wax, Dawn, or similar
  • pinch of Lemishine
  • 2 - 4 hrs runtime
You can play with any of the above, but be aware that adding too much Lemishine does not help and will instead discolor your brass.
I use similar- and have adjusted over time by trial and error... I now use a little more Wash & Wax (1 tsp) and less (or no) Lemishine.

The Wash & Wax is key for me... I read an article a while back promoting it's use in the final rinse water and it's great. I throw my separated brass into bowl with a strainer in it and use hot water and 1 tsp of W&W let it sit a couple minutes before pouring the brass out onto a towel. Hot brass dries in minutes and the W&W in the rinse water has completely eliminated my need to use case lube and also keeps brass looking new during storage (won't tarnish). Actual difference is 1-2 minutes effort per 2 drum load.

Return to “Reloading Forum”