For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Dillon drops the XL650 in favor of XL750

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I was more than a little surprised to learn that Dillon has dropped the XL650 and introduced the XL750. Dillon claims it has a lot of improvements and I have no reason to doubt it. However, the 750 took a giant step backwards. It uses the 550 primer system that was always problematic on my 550. It was a major reason I sold it and went to the 650 -- two 650s. The stated reason was that it's easier to change between large and small primers. Sorry, I don't buy it. Admittedly, I have two 650s so I can have one set up for large primers and the other one for small primers. However, I didn't have any trouble changing primer systems before I got the second 650.

My suggestion for anyone wanting a Dillon try to find a used 650. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dillon come out with a 750A that uses t he 650 primer system.

Chas.

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dillon drops the XL650 in favor of XL750

Post by SigM4 »

Admittedly I’m not sure what the 750 is supposed to offer over the 650 as I hadn’t done much reading on it yet. My reloading has taken a hiatus since baby #3 came along (and since it’s been too hot to stand in an unventilated garage), but was planning to start up again the fall. I guess I’ll just continue to be happy with my 650. Maybe I’ll keep my eye out for a second one so I won’t have to switch from large to small primers. Yeah, that’s the reason... :mrgreen:
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flechero »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:49 pm However, the 750 took a giant step backwards. It uses the 550 primer system
Not "the 550 priming system" but a similar type. That's an important distinction.

Knowing Dillon, I bet they ran it through the paces enough to prove it. Let it be innocent until proven guilty....

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

flechero wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:30 am
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:49 pm However, the 750 took a giant step backwards. It uses the 550 primer system
Not "the 550 priming system" but a similar type. That's an important distinction.

Knowing Dillon, I bet they ran it through the paces enough to prove it. Let it be innocent until proven guilty....
Dillon still makes the 550 and never fixed the problem, or so I've been told. Where did you see that the system is only similar to the 550? I can't find anything saying that. The videos I've watched of the 750 show an identical priming system, at least concerning the problematic aspects of the design.

I hope you are right, but deleting a proven system doesn't make sense. If I paid $1,300+ for an XL750 with accessories, only to be reminded of a 550, I would be a former Dillon customer.

Chas.

SamBodie

Post by SamBodie »

I have a 650 that I have been very pleased with, just wondering what is the problem with the 550 priming system?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

SamBodie wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:43 am I have a 650 that I have been very pleased with, just wondering what is the problem with the 550 priming system?
Mine frequently needed to be realigned so the primer would actually be in the proper position under the shell plate. The moving part also needed cleaning often to keep it from sticking. I don't want to make it seem like it made the machine too much trouble to use, but it was annoying.

Chas.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I got this from Dillon....

https://tawk.link/5b8ecb0aafc2c34e96e83 ... rences.pdf

Ive heard a couple people frown on the 550 priming system but me and all i know have had zero issues... were issues with sm primer only?

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

I am still happy with my 650, and it is still under warranty...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

flechero wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:21 am I got this from Dillon....

https://tawk.link/5b8ecb0aafc2c34e96e83 ... rences.pdf

Ive heard a couple people frown on the 550 priming system but me and all i know have had zero issues... were issues with sm primer only?
Thanks.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Here is a video of the Dillon XL750 primer system. It isn't "like" the 550, it's identical to the problematic 550.

Chas.

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

My question is useable with out problems with every 100 rounds or can be a problem. I have never been a fan of
progressive loaders and at times had priming problems on a single stage. probale getting a weak arm and I had a square deal
and could not make it run smooth like 20 years ago and sold it to a friend who sent it to Dillion and they changed cal and sent it back to him just like a new one he shoots 3 gun and loves it but was thinking of moving up to a 650. but this rings the bell on that. are there problems with the 1050 ?
Any comments welcome.
ET-ret

flechero

Post by flechero »

Charles,

I see you and very few other people talking ill of the 550 priming system but other than your comment about alignment adjustments, I can't find anything specific. It makes me wonder if yours somehow wasn't actually adjusted correctly. (no slight intended) I'm near 20k rounds in 4 calibers and with issues. Same for others I know with 550's.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm Here is a video of the Dillon XL750 primer system. It isn't "like" the 550, it's identical to the problematic 550.

Chas.
That would appear to be incorrect:
I just saw this on the Dillon forum....posted by one of their staff members:

The significant changes are a simplified primer system, so it is easier to convert from one primer size to another, the ring indexer has been redesigned so the spring pushes instead of pulls, reducing accidental breakage if it binds, and the index block now incorporates both a roller and a spring-loaded overtravel stop.
While none of the above retrofit the XL650, we will be offering a version of the new index block for the XL650 machines.
All toolheads, conversion parts, and most other parts interchange between the XL650 and XL750. Parts unique to the XL650 will remain in inventory and in production.
Charles, the changes may not all be visible from the exterior.

In all the forums I frequent, I still haven't found more than a couple people with actual 550 priming system problems... not saying they don't exist but lots of people report "hearing" of them, not personally experiencing them. I've also not seen any real specific info other then the priming system is the "weak link" or that it's "not as good as the 650" or your comments of needing occasional adjustment.

I think people might expect too much from the 550... it's a fantastic machine but keep in mind that is at the lower end of the Dillon lineup.

:tiphat:

Return to “Reloading Forum”