Frangible rounds

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
markthenewf
Posts in topic: 2

Frangible rounds

Post by markthenewf »

I was thinking about doing up some frangible rounds for some typical calibers in order to shoot steel at closer distances....say in 9mm, 45ACP, and 223/556 AR15. Anybody have any experience with these suckers? Any issues with feeding? I read that crimping is sketchy sometimes, but that's about it.
Cheers!

Mark

flechero

Re: Frangible rounds

Post by flechero »

How close are you wanting to shoot steel? You can adjust the angle of the plate and get pretty close with lead (or even plated ammo). Jacketed ammo seems to splash back worse and the jackets are usually sharp! I don't think I'd want to be close enough to need frangible ammo.

No clue on rifle

Loaded ammo and components are available but they are pricey!

narcissist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by narcissist »

I've seen that [DEVASTATOR AMMUNITION] wonder how good it is? Still own those old 357mag [ exploder ammo ] work great, of course they dont sell them anymore but wonder if they are about the same?
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Topic author
markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

I really would like to try it as much as it would be for an experiment as well as to run any firearm within 10 yards or so from a steel target. I agree that the projectiles are costly, though I'd still be saving heaps by making my own ammo.
Cheers!

Mark

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K-Texas »

The greatest challenge appears to be finding the bullets you want or can make. I would certainly keep crimping issues in mind; particular .223/5.56mm loads that really need a crimp for running through autoloaders. It could turn out you'll need to load the rounds individually. If you have some type of U-Die for .45 ACP, that should help in getting adequate neck tension on the case without crimping, and just removing any flare from the expanding die.

I like what AndyC did, and since I'll be using one for my next .357 shot loads, I would think that hot glue would work pretty well if you want to melt the lead from JHPs and fill them with pellets and hot glue applied in layers as the pellets fill the copper jacket. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

flechero

Post by flechero »

markthenewf wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:33 pm I really would like to try it as much as it would be for an experiment as well as to run any firearm within 10 yards or so from a steel target.
I gotcha- I'm intrigued as well... but I wouldn't shoot a rifle at that distance even with frangible ammo!

10 yds with steel set up correctly is advertised among plate manufacturers as safe pistol distance. You can adjust the angles and /or add a splash catcher and shoot a little closer. I have shot at 5yds a few times but don't recommend it.

Return to “Reloading Forum”