My worse timing ever journey to beginner reloading

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
grim-bob
Posts in topic: 10

My worse timing ever journey to beginner reloading

Post by grim-bob »

Resisted getting into reloading for years since I didn't want to add a new hobby as I tend to go off the deep end quickly and I could afford to buy what I needed to shoot without reloading. Still could even now to some degree if I pass up competitions on occasion. Always have ammo held back for emergency use and had plenty non-emergency to last the year for range and competition use....

AND THEN....

After many years of me asking and essentially having given up, the wife decided that it was time to get real comfortable with 9mm. She has sent the occasional round in 380/9/40/45 but for any real range time she always went back to 22. Guess all the unrest finally scared her enough that she decided to do it on her own. Took a class and now getting her own lanes at the range. Just got her license in hand this week too. Don't get me wrong.... ecstatic about her decision!!!! but couldn't be at a worse time ammo wise. I was already starting to ration a little on the range ammo but now that's not possible with 2 shooters eating away at it. She's run through more than 1000 rounds in the last month between range time and shooting her first steel match... Awesome to see her enthusiasm..... BUT

So we had to sit down and have the talk about how ammo isn't growing on trees at the moment.... Emergency ammo is untouchable and once range inventory is gone that's it.... Still picking up the random ammo brick or box when the price is reasonable and on the shelf... not in dire range inventory yet but trying to stay ahead of it.... Suggestion that maybe I need to start reloading came from her mouth... I'm in an alternative universe apparently now as this isn't something that would have ever been mentioned before.... :bigear:

So now I'm collecting.... Been lucky running across components considering the climate. Have plenty of brass as I've saved it just in case for years and traded some off on occasion. Ran across a 2k of bullets last week and powder is easy enough still.... Mentioned I saw primers to her and she asked if I bought them all... Yes of course.... Literally just pulled the trigger on an in stock Dillon 750 which should be here in a week, now to find 9mm dies which is the only hard to find item left and I should be getting started..... Enough components to get through a few months of moderate/heavy shooting.... But it's never enough is it?

So now I'm the dumb guy having to try and find components to stay ahead in the middle of a shortage... I've always tried to not be that guy, but here I am :banghead:

Still excited though as this will definitely feed my tinkering brain :-)

Anyone in mid-cities want to do some mentoring or maybe even virtual mentoring? I get the general process already and am mechanically inclined and able to figure stuff out usually. But I know enough to know there are still tricks to the trade.... Have probably seen every video out there it seems like and have been reading manuals from the component vendors already. Plan to start slow considering the machine can do more than I'm ready for. Sure I'll have the random question or seek input though if anyone is game....

Anyone else on a 750 have any accessory recommendations? I see a case and bullet feeder in the future but going to start without to force myself to slow down for now. What else do you recommend on the press itself?
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My worse timing ever journey to beginner reloading

Post by flechero »

Surprisingly when I was at Academy the other day they had tons of dies.... no projectiles,powder or primers but LOTS of dies. Make a call or 3 to your local Academy stores and you might be surprised. :tiphat:

Topic author
grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

Yep. There are a couple sets of 9 dies on the shelf at mine too. Looking for dillon dies though vs Hornady.... Unless I get desperate that is :)
Josh

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

grim-bob wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:43 am Yep. There are a couple sets of 9 dies on the shelf at mine too. Looking for dillon dies though vs Hornady.... Unless I get desperate that is :)
If I were you, I'd buy the available dies and keep them in the package while hunting Dillon Dies... so that in a week or so if you are still empty, you didn't miss a good option and get left with no option. You can upgrade later and sell or bless a new reloader with the Hornady dies.

Deitz83
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deitz83 »

I found the following on the Dillon webpage. I did not say out of stock. The 3 set dies are out of stock. I did not check for the shell plate holder or guide pins. I hope this helps, good luck.

P/N 14414 Seating die 9mm
P/N 14415 Sizing die 9mm
P/N 14443 Crimp Die 9mm

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

Go get a light for your 750 from these guys.

https://kmssquared.com/rl_uni.html

They’re actually over in the N Dallas area and the product is outstanding.

I’d recommend a case feeder for now but would hold off on a bullet feeder till you’ve got some time under your belt.

As an aside I’m in Weatherford but work in Haltom City if you ever need any pointers.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

So we had to sit down and have the talk about how ammo isn't growing on trees at the moment....

"rlol"

Topic author
grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

flechero wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:53 am If I were you, I'd buy the available dies and keep them in the package while hunting Dillon Dies... so that in a week or so if you are still empty, you didn't miss a good option and get left with no option. You can upgrade later and sell or bless a new reloader with the Hornady dies.
Valid point and not a bad idea. I did run into some luck today but not on 9mm.

The press is setup for 45 since that is what was in stock. Have a conversion kit on the way for 9 so not a big deal. I do shoot 45 on occasion and since it has the conversion already I was open to 45 dies if they came up. Found an old RCBS 45 die set, looks lightly used but still had the orignal purchase price on it from alpine of 34.95. Asked if they'd take the same as the old sticker and I was out the door with it. Seems like a decent score. So on the shelf it goes util I decide to do some 45.
Josh

Benjamin Franklin

Topic author
grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

SigM4 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:24 pm Go get a light for your 750 from these guys.

https://kmssquared.com/rl_uni.html

They’re actually over in the N Dallas area and the product is outstanding.

I’d recommend a case feeder for now but would hold off on a bullet feeder till you’ve got some time under your belt.

As an aside I’m in Weatherford but work in Haltom City if you ever need any pointers.
Like the light idea. I'll check them out.

You're probably right on the case feeder. Fortunately they aren't in short supply at the moment. I did buy the feeder plates already though since those have been a little tough for some to find. We'll see how fast I get aggravated without it. Going to have to work up some basic loads to start anyway in very small batches so might not be to bad at first. I'll grab one quick though if needed.

Thx for the pointers offer. I'm sure I'll need em a bit!!! BTW I just went into Gibson's in Weatherford for the first time today. That place is awesome!
Josh

Benjamin Franklin

Topic author
grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

Deitz83 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:49 am I found the following on the Dillon webpage. I did not say out of stock. The 3 set dies are out of stock. I did not check for the shell plate holder or guide pins. I hope this helps, good luck.

P/N 14415 Sizing die 9mm
P/N 14443 Crimp Die 9mm
Thx for this thought. I didn't think about ordering individually. It's only $7-8 more to do it this way so that's not bad considering.
Josh

Benjamin Franklin

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

grim-bob wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:57 pm BTW I just went into Gibson's in Weatherford for the first time today. That place is awesome!
It is isn’t it. Good folks in there too.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

I ran across a couple videos in the last few days on primer making. Pretty interesting stuff. Do you punch those from the roll with a regular hole punch or is there a specific tool needed? No where near thinking about that yet but interesting none the less. I'll just scrounge for primers for now :shock:

Are you coating your casts at all?
Josh

Benjamin Franklin

Otto

Post by Otto »

Deitz83 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:49 am I found the following on the Dillon webpage. I did not say out of stock. The 3 set dies are out of stock. I did not check for the shell plate holder or guide pins. I hope this helps, good luck.

P/N 14415 Sizing die 9mm
P/N 14443 Crimp Die 9mm
Did you click on the drop-down arrow? Backorder only (and there's no telling how many people have already done that).
New Dillon 9mm die sets are selling for about $180 on eBay. Stupid pricey, I know. But at least they're available for those with the cash.
Don't think for a minute that this situation is going to get better any time soon.
I've been reloading for 27 years and believe me, the worst is yet to come.
Let's say you just dropped a grand on a Dillon. Are you going to let a hundred bucks stand in the way of reloading the caliber you shoot the most? Sure, you could slum-it and go with Lee but you'll pay out the nose for that too. Pony up and get what you want while you can.

Return to “Reloading Forum”