For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 9

Dillon 650 / Swage It

Post by tomneal »

I seem to have acquired a lot of military brass. Both 5.56 and 9MM

I've tried a borrowed Dillon Swage tool and swaged all I had but it was slow and tedious. Over time I have acquired more military brass.

Yesterday a range buddy told me about Swage It. https://swageit.com/

They have a version for the Dillon 650 that fits in the priming station. I plan to set up a tool head with a depriming / resizing die and nothing else. I'll be able to take advantage of my case feeder to speed the process.

I've ordered the Swage It. While I am waiting for it to arrive, I'll round up the brass and polish it.

If it works, I may try to bid on some military 5.56 brass. Seems like it could be a fun project.

I'll keep you posted.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dillon 650 / Swage It

Post by flechero »

I broke down and bought the Dillon bench mounted swager recently and was disappointed upon first use... the reviews were all awesome. I learned quickly that brass dimensions vary widely. It got easier with some use but I'm still not thrilled with it.

If they had a button base that would stop the punch at the appropriate depth it would be great and not require constant adjustment.

I hope the swage it work out to your satisfaction. It should be less fussy since it works off the primer set up.

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

It might still but...

I've been running the machine since 1997.

I am not sure how many rounds I've loaded. I think, somewhere between 100 & 200 thousand.

If the loader breaks, and they won't replace the part, I'll replace the part and still be smiling :-)
See you at the range

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

It's been discussed a bunch on other forums but yes it does void the warranty. Was one of the things I researched a bit before buying a press. Apparently the way it breaks the press is obvious and specific to use of the swage it attachment.

I bought a Lee APP instead with the swaging kit. Have yet to put it to use so we'll see how it goes.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

thatguy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by thatguy »

After using the Swage It on about 4k psc of 9mm brass I'd say it does not necessarily swage the brass, particularly military type brass, but instead culls out the brasses suitability and resets the primer pockets for easier install. It definitely helps in the reloading processes as I'm not wasting as many primers (which was my goal) but I can't say if it is worth the extra time due to the added process.

I don't buy a product like my Dillon 650 directly because of the warranty no more than I buy Glocks but because I TRUST them to work. I have had no issues with my Dillon and the Swage It as I actually read the directions and don't force anything.. :tiphat:

I hope this helps :fire
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Thanks for the comment.

I try not to force anything but...
I have been know to get a bigger hammer. ;-)
See you at the range

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have a case prep machine by RCBS. I use the deburring tool on one spinning head it to remove the military crimp and to help S&B brass. It works great! It takes only a second to work. It bottoms out before it removes too much material around the primer pocket.

I have a Dillon Swage It and it is terrible!

Chas.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have the Dillon Primer Pocket Swage Tool (Super Swage 600) and it works very well for me. I load mixed 223/5.56 brass picked up off the ground at PSC. At first, I would sort the brass for cases that had a crimp and those that don't but that took too much time. I now run every case through the Super Swage 600. I have run somewhere in excess of 12,000 cases through the Super Swage since I got it and have no issues. The only complaint is that it takes time to set up for a different case design (such as going to 9mm pistol brass). Not a big deal as I would make the conversion, run all of the 9mm brass that I have then go back to the 223/5.56. Just be aware that it is not a 30 second change over.

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

The Swage It tool arrived today. I'll try it first on 9MM. If it works, I'll try it on .223

The Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System I ordered should arrive in a week.

I have bullets, powder, primers, brass, and new case prep tools. Now that I've retired, I have time.
I should be able to turn money into noise with the best of them.

For the amount I shoot and what I am spending on reloading, I could just buy new .223 ammo. But, in recent times, .223 has been $1/round and/or unavailable.

My reaction to election stress is to "ammo up". I still have about 1/2 the Small Rifle primers from November 2008 and an untouched case of .22 Rimfire from November 2012. I am working my way through my powder stocks.

Last election I was looking at a tool that would convert spent .22 rimfire brass and a little bit of lead, into .223 bullets. The tool was out-of-stock and I thought better of the purchase.
See you at the range

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

First Step complete

I installed the Swage It and Swaged around 900 rounds of 9MM.

I noticed that some 9MM brass from 1940 & 1945 was more difficult to Swage. (I bought a 5 gallon bucket of 9MM from Hot Wells Range for a good price, around 20 years ago. This Military brass came from that bucket. I have no idea who shot the 50 year old ammo.)

Step Two
I am running the brass back through the tumbler. I kind of skimped on the tumbling the first time.

Step Three
Load some rounds. Determine if I just wasted time and money.

To Be Continued...

Now, it's time to go deer hunting.
See you at the range

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

When I looked at the brass from 1940 and 1945, I could see a distinctly bigger crimp. The 1985 and 1992 brass was crimped but not as robust a crimp. I don't believe the military brass had ever been reloaded.
See you at the range

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Reloaded 200+ of the Swaged Military brass.

Had at least a 1% failure to prime rate. Those were on 1940 & 1945 brass.

Took them to PSC and shot 100+ of the rounds without issue.

I have a couple of thousand 9MM to load before I start on the .223
See you at the range

thatguy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by thatguy »

I finished loading my lot of 4k 9mm that had been processed with Swage It and noted a huge improvement in positive primer insertion with approx 4 out of 1k failure to seat :tiphat:

Mr. Tom, I'm still not sure if it is worth the added prep time though... :confused5
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Return to “Reloading Forum”