HB 685 by Rose - CHL range exemption

The Legislative Session is over - here are the results?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

HB 685 by Rose - CHL range exemption

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Rep. Rose has introduced HB685 that will exempt certain military personnel from the range requirement for obtaining or renewing a CHL.

tomneal

Sounds like a good first step

Post by tomneal »

I shoot 40 to 50 handgun matches a year. At some point it's just silly to requre recertification. Maybe this will be the beginning.

On a similar note,
do any other states
have ways to avoid the renewal hassels that Texas has?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

I think Texas has one of the strictest set of guidelines for the CHL. That can be good or bad depending on how you look at it, but I definitely think the cost needs to come down some.

I was reading some Brady group thing a few days ago and it mentioned that Texas was the only state that required non-violent dispute resolution. Of course they are against any form of CCW, but I just thought that was interesting. People think of Texas as the most 'cowboy' state with gunslingers everywhere.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

fiftycal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fiftycal »

I was reading some Brady group thing a few days ago and it mentioned that Texas was the only state that required non-violent dispute resolution. [/quote]

And I want the "non-violent dispute resolution" part taken out and the class time lowered to 8 hours for a new license. The pseudo-psychology involved in the course is a waste of time.

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Well, perhaps the "non-violent dispute resolution" part of the course could be replaced by having a lawyer tell you what it was going to cost in legal fees after you shoot someone. That might give some people an incentive to avoid shooting if they could.
Every bullet which goes downrange has a lawyer attached to it.
-- Heidi Smith, Thunder Ranch
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

fiftycal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fiftycal »

[quote="Lindy"]Well, perhaps the "non-violent dispute resolution" part of the course could be replaced by having a lawyer tell you what it was going to cost in legal fees after you shoot someone. That might give some people an incentive to avoid shooting if they could.

Have you ever taken a CHL course? If the instructor didn't talk about the consequences of shooting, you were short-changed. And you might want to pay $500 for a CHL course, but most people couldn't afford it.

And I don't seem to remember a lot of CHL holders getting sued for shooting people. There have only been a few and they have all been justified. Maybe the lawsuit reforms have worked. The ambulance chasers won't take a case if they can't make a pot full of money.

Return to “2005 Texas Legislative Session”