Empty drive space near full

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

Topic author
DXer
Posts in topic: 2

Empty drive space near full

Post by DXer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:59 pm

Don't know how to describe this issue concisely. Noticed that a full partition backup takes about 80 gigs of space using True Image. It does a good job of compressing--actual used space should be below 150 gigs I think. On this 1 tb drive though, it shows a healthy drive with a bit over 100 gb available. I think it should have more like >600 available. Hunted directories and found no blatant consumers of space, no virtual drives, disk management didn't indicate anything out of normal. Looked at things like mail, attachments, etc. and don't see anything that is consuming drive space. Not a lot of photos that hog space. Any ideas or suggested are welcomed.

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Empty drive space near full

Post by strogg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Check this out: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... _free.html

This should be able tell you where all the space is taken up.

Topic author
DXer
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Empty drive space near full

Post by DXer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:45 pm

You're great. Installed Tree Size, found System Volume Info too large. Went to Control Panel, Recovery and found allocation for backup and restore way too large. I'm back in business and it was pretty easy with Tree Size. Have a greater holiday.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”