Replacement security system?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 2

Replacement security system?

Post by tomneal »

I have a camera security system. It uses Power over IP. There are 4 cameras with room for 4 more.

The camera interface is 'not user friendly'. The only interface is a mouse and the menu system is not friendly.

I've tried to add a camera without success.
I've even tried to reset the time without success. (There are two times, one reset, the other didn't.)

I am strongly considering:
- replacing the security system
- reusing the 4 cameras
- adding 4 more cameras including one that will be wireless

I spent my entire adult life working with databases. (Happily retired.)
I am agile enough to run the additional wires through the attic and down the wall to my system.

Should I call "The Guy"
or
are there systems out there that are easy to set up and maintain?
I could even replace my current desktop and reuse the old one for a camera system.

Anyone tackle a project like this on their own?
Did you have success?
What system did you buy?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Replacement security system?

Post by strogg »

If your PoE cameras are RTSP compatible (which 99.9% are), then I suggest trying Blue Iris. That's what I use on my DVR computer. It's pretty cheap ($70 for the full full version), and pretty easy to use for the basics, albeit tedious to setup. Once you get the hang of it, the features it has will blow you away. It has very adjustable motion sensing trigger and recording (contrast and object size sensitivity, dead zones, motion duration), profiles based on time of day, activity, etc.

One downside is that you'll need a dedicated computer to run it. By that, I mean the computer you use shouldn't be a workstation. For example, the DVR computer of mine is also running multiple VMs that do many other different things, but it's not a workstation that I'd hop on to check email or play games. The Blue Iris service is pretty resource intensive.

The other downside is that the system isn't really IoT or cloud friendly for those looking for it. For me, I actually like it's not IoT or cloud friendly. If I want to view footage remotely, I just VPN into my home network and access the cameras and the security computer that way.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I set up my own PoE using Blue Iris, the Chinese cameras are a pain to get the IP addresses set up. I just bought a Lorex NVR system. In a couple weeks when I get it installed I’ll tell you how it works out. Lorex had 25% off so I went ahead and bought it.

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I really didn't want the video uploaded to "The Cloud" The Local Hard drive is secure enough for me.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Due in large part to some unsavory renters we had I got a quick set-up system from Eufy which use their own network and record to my Homekit Secure Video storage. However in every instance of the camera picking up motion it initiates a message back to the Eufy HQ servers and then does its job. No internet no camera.

I will be replacing it with Blue Iris and POE cameras as I am done having CCP have updates on my household comings & goings. The only time it will connect to the www will be to upload backups at intervals.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

DevilDawg wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:26 pm Due in large part to some unsavory renters we had I got a quick set-up system from Eufy which use their own network and record to my Homekit Secure Video storage. However in every instance of the camera picking up motion it initiates a message back to the Eufy HQ servers and then does its job. No internet no camera.

I will be replacing it with Blue Iris and POE cameras as I am done having CCP have updates on my household comings & goings. The only time it will connect to the www will be to upload backups at intervals.
There are so many options these days but I think PoE is the way to go. The hard part is running the cat5 cable, areas of my attic are unreachable due to the roof line. My Lorex system just shipped so it will be later this month before I can evaluate it and their app. The cameras that come with it claim 150' at night so I'll see. Next year I want to add a PTZ camera in the front of my house so I can move the camera as needed.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i have hybrid POE and older rca and power cable cameras in my setup from great wall security.

its very easy to see your setup on your smart phone while away and gives all kinds of alerts based on the settings and attached gear.

price friendly and pretty decent post sales service
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

If you're looking for an inexpensive (relatively) camera system, I'd recommend Ubiquiti UniFi. The interface is web-based with an on-prem controller and is almost infinitely scalable. I've installed these at multiple home and business locations and they last for years.

CloudKey Gen2+: This is the controller and NVR.
You already have a POE switch, so this is completely optional, but I recommend it as it too is controlled via the CloudKey: UniFi Switch PRO 24 PoE
Multiple Camera options (including a video doorbell
And, if you're looking to upgrade your WiFi, they have multiple options for Access Points.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”