Virtual Box

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Virtual Box

Post by Liberty »

I am putting an ubuntu box together.

I have an old Windows 2000 computer and would like to move the system into a virtual machine. Been looking at Virtual Box, its free and can be hosted by Ubuntu. What I don't really understand is the process of moving an existing system into the virtual box. Can this be done? Am I asking too much from my Dual atom 1.6 ghz proccessor with 2 gig memory? Is there a better virtual machine system for what I'm attempting to do?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Virtual Box

Post by Liberty »

Russell wrote:You can give it a shot by creating a ghost (or clonezilla) image of the current system, booting the virtualbox guest to the image software's bootable CD, and imaging the guest's virtual HD with the newly created image.

It may or may not pick up all of the virtualbox hardware. You'll just have to try and see =)
Thanks, I did get ubuntu running, and even loaded a fresh install of XP into a virtual box last night, I will remove the drive this weekend. to see if I can make an image. This Ubuntu though is great stuff!
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”