Forum Login Issues

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Forum Login Issues

Post by Excaliber »

When I log in to the forum, I often get an invalid form submission message. Other times I get in, but when I try to reply to a post I find I've been kicked out and have to log in again. This often happens 5 or 6 times in a single session and is very frustrating.

I know it's not a fat finger problem because I use a password manager that fills in my username and password exactly the same every time. Entering the info manually gives the same result.

This happened just now when I tried to post this message.

Is anyone else seeing this?

What can be done to fix it?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Forum Login Issues

Post by Keith B »

Never have seen that here. What OS and browser are you using?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Keith B wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:21 pm Never have seen that here. What OS and browser are you using?
Windows 10/Firefox

Same problem using Edge
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rafe »

Is it possible you might be using an anti-virus or anti-malware application that automatically "cleans" any detected tracking cookies? Just a shot in the dark...no pun intended.

But I believe the forum software requires a specific cookie to be set so that the login can be remembered for a certain number of days. If an application like McAfee LiveSafe or some other is heuristically watching for and clearing the cookie, that might explain why it's happening in different web browsers and at seemingly odd times. Most of the anti-malware apps have a way to exclude or whitelist a site from those sorts of operations. Might at least be worth looking into.

Otherwise, I got nothin'... :???:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Rafe wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:50 am Is it possible you might be using an anti-virus or anti-malware application that automatically "cleans" any detected tracking cookies? Just a shot in the dark...no pun intended.

But I believe the forum software requires a specific cookie to be set so that the login can be remembered for a certain number of days. If an application like McAfee LiveSafe or some other is heuristically watching for and clearing the cookie, that might explain why it's happening in different web browsers and at seemingly odd times. Most of the anti-malware apps have a way to exclude or whitelist a site from those sorts of operations. Might at least be worth looking into.

Otherwise, I got nothin'... :???:
Thanks, Rafe.

I got it fixed, and it apparently was some kind of a cookie issue. I have my browser set to delete history and cookies every time it closes, except for those marked as keepers. I went in and manually deleted everything and that seems to have cured the problem.

Thanks for the help!
Excaliber

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”