posting/sign-in issues.

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

posting/sign-in issues.

Post by flintknapper »

Recently I have logged on, typed a response to a post, but not been able to submit it. The prompt to "log on" appears, and I lose all that I have typed if I do so. This has happened several times.

Anyone else, experienced this? It doesn't bother me if a short response is lost, but one that is a little longer is a pain to lose.

Then again, maybe Charles is trying to tell me something. :smile:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Re: posting/sign-in issues.

Post by txinvestigator »

flintknapper wrote:Recently I have logged on, typed a response to a post, but not been able to submit it. The prompt to "log on" appears, and I lose all that I have typed if I do so. This has happened several times.

Anyone else, experienced this? It doesn't bother me if a short response is lost, but one that is a little longer is a pain to lose.

Then again, maybe Charles is trying to tell me something. :smile:
testing the quote feature
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

testing reply
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Flint:
This is the first report of this problem - I hope the last!

The latest version of PHPBB software has a bug related to the quote feature, so I didn't load it last night as planned. Now I'm sure glad I didn't, or I'd be thinking that was the source of your problem.

I'll poke around on the phpbb forum and see if I can learn anything about your issue.

Thanks for letting me know.

Chas.

ElGato
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ElGato »

flintknapper, that happened to me several times about 6 months ago, then it quit being a problem, not being a puter person I never new why.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

ElGato wrote:flintknapper, that happened to me several times about 6 months ago, then it quit being a problem, not being a puter person I never new why.

Not a big "puter" person myself. It only happens when "quoting" someone, and also only the first time I reply. Any subsequent attempts work just fine.

Thank you Charles.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Flint:
I still don't have an answer, but the latest version has a bug exactly like you describe. Apparently, the bug also existed in the prior version (the one I'm using), but hasn't been reported.

Since version 2.0.20 was released yesterday, they won't be doing any bug fixes on 2.0.19, so I'll have to wait until 2.0.20 is fixed then install it. The phpbb guys are usually very quick to fix known bugs, so hopefully I'll be able to upload it tomorrow or Monday.

Sorry you're having trouble and I'll fix it as soon as possible.

Regards,
Chas.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Flint

One tip that may help is when typing a longer post use Word or some other such program. When you've finished typing you simply copy and paste into your post here. It also adds the benefint of the spellchecker (something I need to use more) and you could save. IF there is a problem you have the post until it is resolved and successfully posted.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

dws1117 wrote:Flint

One tip that may help is when typing a longer post use Word or some other such program. When you've finished typing you simply copy and paste into your post here. It also adds the benefint of the spellchecker (something I need to use more) and you could save. IF there is a problem you have the post until it is resolved and successfully posted.
+1 thats a good backup...

I sometimes do that when I have a long-winded response, or some other form of drivle I feel compelled to agrivate my carpal tunnel symptoms... :lol:

But that only happens about 98% of the time, so I think I am ok...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

dws1117 wrote:Flint

Thank you Sir, I appreciate the tip.

Anyone needing "spellchecker" can download it free and install from here:
http://www.iespell.com/ easy to do, and gives you spell checking ability on anything internet related.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
I sometimes do that when I have a long-winded response, or some other form of drivle I feel compelled to agrivate my carpal tunnel symptoms... :lol:

Now, when have you ever had a long-winded respose?

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

dws1117 wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:

Now, when have you ever had a long-winded respose?
Oh...Just about everyday I suppose... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

GreenGuy

Post by GreenGuy »

Similar issue,

Each time I visit the site, I have to sign in, even though I have clicked the "remember me each time I visit" box.. Any thoughts on that one?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

GreenGuy wrote:Similar issue,

Each time I visit the site, I have to sign in, even though I have clicked the "remember me each time I visit" box.. Any thoughts on that one?
The auto sign-in feature requires the use of a cookie. If you have cookies disabled for security purposes, that may well be teh problem.

Chas.

quidni
Posts in topic: 1

Post by quidni »

GreenGuy wrote:Similar issue,

Try bookmarking the "after you sign in" home page instead of the "before you sign in" home page.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”