Any PC gamers here?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 17

Re: Any PC gamers here?

Post by TexasComputerDude »

GTA IV and Battlefield 2142 currently.

I like strategic squad based FPS's

Some friends and I were going to check out left4dead but we aren't sure if its the game for us.
Glock 30 - main ccw

TexasComputerDude

btw might as well post your specs: (don't laugh at mine lol)

Gateway LX6810:
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor8 Q8200 (2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
8 gigs of ram
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT120 Graphics with 1GB DDR2 Total Video Memory

(I normally build my own desktops but this was an OMG gotta have ANY computer within the next 2 hours kindof purchase, as the shop computer crashed in a shower of sparks (well, 1 bright flash) and it was the best that worst buy had to offer.)

HP DV9700t:
Intel C2D 2.5Ghz Phenryn
4 gigs of ram
NVIDIA 8600GS (I think)
(bought about a year ago, when it was near top of the line (for a "non gaming" laptop))

and a HP Mini for work and school.

I'm currently saving up for my uberbuild but I'm buying everything at the same time, prob. 2.5 grand in hardware plus dual 24" monitors. Its been a while since my last build.
Glock 30 - main ccw

TexasComputerDude

my friend just overclocked his Intel Dual Core E21600 1.8Ghz to 3Ghz and it appears to BLAZE past my 2.5ghz C2D :-(

He ran prime95 for 9 or 10 hours straight and not a SINGLE error

haha I love HP computers but this name brand is a gateway. I would be kicked off this site if I expressed my true feelings as to gateway but it had to be done.

btw, ever seen a powersupply self destruct? The gateways predecessor had what looked like a quick lightning storm take place inside it ruining everything but the HD. I didn't think firefox was that intensive of an app lol.
Glock 30 - main ccw

kd5zex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kd5zex »

TexasComputerDude wrote: I didn't think firefox was that intensive of an app lol.
Lol

I played BF2 a while back but now I just play a little quakelive now and then.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

TexasComputerDude

My squad is seriously waiting on battlefield 3 and really hoping they don't screw it up
Glock 30 - main ccw

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Purplehood »

Kids freak-out when they realize I too am a PC Gamer at 50 years of age (among other hobbies). What they don't realize is that it is the older folks of my generation that started gaming on table-tops and worked towards the eventual day that computers could eliminate alot of the "paperwork" and time involved in the more intricate game systems.
Now that day is here and far exceeds what we looked forward to.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

AggieC05
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AggieC05 »

still pick them up from time to time... but between work, certification classes, wedding planning, and other things it is the hobby that has suffered the most

TexasComputerDude

I am currently getting really frustrated with gaming, alot of the people on the online fps's I play won't squad up and do NOT take the game seriously.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Wildscar
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Wildscar »

TexasComputerDude wrote:btw, ever seen a powersupply self destruct? The gateways predecessor had what looked like a quick lightning storm take place inside it ruining everything but the HD. I didn't think firefox was that intensive of an app lol.
Don’t you know that the magic smoke is in fused into every electronic device. When you release the smoke it’s over. I work in IT and have seen all too often.

I guess I could fall into the gamer category. I use to play several before I realized in the end that there is nothing to show for all the time sitting in front of the computer.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

TexasComputerDude

My first introduction to programming was Qbasic with my grandpa's old pc back in the day. I progressed onto visual basic and now I'm doing my best to break out of basic lol.

I'm currently learning PHP and finishing up C++ but haven't had much time to do it.

I do wish I had never learned visual basic though, its made me a lazy programmer. but hey, it was free on the school computers.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”