Any PC gamers here?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 17

Re: Any PC gamers here?

Post by TexasComputerDude »

speaking of programming, I've got a little project going that I call a CHL scenario simulator that uses my projector and a program that calls up random videos and takes marks everytime it detects a gunshot for replay.

I'm teaching myself directx along with vb.net (ugh) so its slow going. I wanted to do it in C++ but I'm not advanced enough yet.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Purplehood »

Giving my age away...

My first computer was a Timex Sinclair (can't remember the number). You plugged a cassette deck to it and used the TV as a monitor. You then had to type in your commands in Basic. Then the Commodore 64 came out and I was in heaven.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Xander
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Xander »

Russell wrote:Just curious if there's any PC gamers on here. More specifically, and Left 4 Dead or Day of Defeat gamers :cheers2:
I used to play quite a bit of CS:Source and Day of Defeat on our game nights at work, and occasionally some DoD on the Texas Militia servers. I've actually been thinking about getting back into it lately. Also started Fallout 3 and Call of Duty - Modern Warfare recently, and those been great fun so far.

TexasComputerDude

Russell wrote:Fallout 3 was pretty fun for about the first 2 hours or so. Afterward... I just got bored. Not quite sure why, but I just lost interest in it.

Might ultimate favorite games of all time though I would have to say are Tribes 1 and Age of Empires 1. Great games.
Because after 2 hours it got hard and you started dieing? LOL
Glock 30 - main ccw

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

Purplehood wrote:Giving my age away...

My first computer was a Timex Sinclair (can't remember the number). You plugged a cassette deck to it and used the TV as a monitor. You then had to type in your commands in Basic. Then the Commodore 64 came out and I was in heaven.
I had a Timex, was the coolest thing. Had the printer and 64K mem pack. Taught my self programming on it. Also had an Atari 600XL
I never thought of programming as a computer gaming until this thread. So I guess I'm a gamer.
While I've mostly programmed distillation towers, boilers and chemical reactors, I've programmed experiments on the the space station, and CHI hair irons. I've been lucky to get some opportunitys because I'm really more of a hack then a programmer. but programming is the ultimate computer game. Making real stuff work is scoring getting paid for it is winning! :woohoo
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TexasComputerDude

experiments on the space station? nice!
Glock 30 - main ccw

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

TexasComputerDude wrote:experiments on the space station? nice!
Microsoft C++ for DOS, and was a wonderful opportunity given to me.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stati ... /MEPS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TexasComputerDude

Russell wrote:Sweet! Space station expirements :mrgreen:

As far as getting bored at fallout 3, no, I don't think it was the dying. I honestly think it was how *slow* your character moves was what eventually did it in for me, on top of my lack of concentration on story lines like that. I couldn't get him to go anywhere fast :totap: The only story-line based game I've ever really concentrated on for hours at a time was Half-Life 2.

yea, thats why I like battlefield 2142, its entirely skill based. Its awesome to always be in the top 10% of every server. It also can be VERY fast paced
Glock 30 - main ccw

TexasComputerDude

speaking of starcraft, any word on starcraft 2 lol

I can't wait. Hopefully they don't totally screw it up.
Glock 30 - main ccw

jwp
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jwp »

I'll be 64 soon, and people are pretty surprised when I mention computer games. I've played just about everything since the original Advent (aka Colossal Cave) and Zork (played using a 300-baud acoustic coupler talking to the Dec 10 at MIT via the San Diego TIP and using a DecWriter for a terminal). I played and ran MUDs for a long time, but have never much cared for the MMORPG games, much to my own surprise. I once thought that "graphical MUDs" were *the* way to go with gaming.

My favorite PC games have all been fantasy RPGs (from Bards' Tale through the Ultima series, especially Ultima Underworld, Thief, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights), though I liked Air Warrior (the standalone version) fairly well, and the Close Combat series quite a lot. Right now I'm waiting very impatiently for BioWare to release Dragon Age: Origins - supposedly this fall, though I'm not going to hold my breath.
-- John Pierce, jwpretd@satx.rr.com
A patriot must always stand ready to defend his country from its government. -- Edward Abbey

TexasComputerDude

I've still got my ultima 6 cloth map. I had taped the names and locations of tons of stuff all over it lol.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”