Need help with Outlook Express 6

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Rotgirl
Posts in topic: 2

Need help with Outlook Express 6

Post by Rotgirl »

Problem started last night......I always delete my Sent Items and Deleted Items folders before I shut the computer off.

Deleted folder deleted fine but the majority of my Sent Items would not delete.

Now, this morning, I can't delete Inbox messages!

Any help to get this back to normal would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Ciao ya'll.....rg

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need help with Outlook Express 6

Post by Keith B »

Rotgirl wrote:Problem started last night......I always delete my Sent Items and Deleted Items folders before I shut the computer off.

Deleted folder deleted fine but the majority of my Sent Items would not delete.

Now, this morning, I can't delete Inbox messages!

Any help to get this back to normal would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Ciao ya'll.....rg
Sounds like your mailbox files may have gotten corrupted. Here are some steps to try and see if ti will correct the issue http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/com ... epair.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

AEA

Post by AEA »

You should not delete your "Deleted Items" FOLDER........
You can permanently delete individual items from the "Deleted Items" Folder, but not the folder itself. It is there to give you a chance to reconsider before actually deleting from the system.

You have deleted the "Deleted Items" FOLDER and now you cannot delete any items in your "Inbox" because there is no longer any place for them to go..........

You must re-create a "Deleted Items" folder and then they will delete from the 'Inbox" and move to the newly created "Deleted Items" Folder. You may then delete them from there or even set up the program to delete them from there automatically every time you shut down Outlook Express. But, the actual "Deleted Items" FOLDER MUST remain there.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
Rotgirl

Post by Rotgirl »

Sorry I wasn't clear........I didn't/don't delete the Deleted folder.......I delete the items in the folder.

I compacted all the folders and it's back to normal now.

I also ran the Degragmenter............in the report, it said that there were 10,670 Fragments equaling a file size of 2.00 GB in the Deleted Items.dbx.

Is there a way to permanently delete the items in this folder when it gets this large?

Ciao ya'll.....rg

AEA

Post by AEA »

Only way I know is to set up the program to delete the items from the deleted Items folder automatically every time the program is closes.

Tools/Options/Maintenance
Apply check mark in box next to "Empty items from the 'Deleted Items' folder on exit."
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

couzin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by couzin »

You may be having a problem with file size in the identities for Outlook Express. Even though you are 'emptying' the deleted items folder at the front end user interface (where you actually 'see' your email) - there are files in the application data that continue to keep code copies of everything in or out of your computer and makes a very large archive copy of all of it, including the deleted stuff. Here is how to clean em up.

First, close Outlook Express (the folders cannot be in use while editing). Path through 'my computer' > 'local disk' (whether C, D, F etc) > 'documents and settings' > 'owner' > 'local settings' > 'application data' > 'identities' -- under "identities" you should see at least one folder with long string names (example "{2fec3cee-445c-4ccf-8dad-f877df19e33a}" ). You will have multiple folders like this if you use addtional email identities, or have had previous identities that you no longer use. Select one of the folders and path through > 'microsoft' > 'outlook express'. Once under 'outlook express' you should see several seperate files named 'drafts', inbox', outbox', deleted items', 'folders', 'offline', 'pop3uidl', and 'sent items'. Depending on how you have your views set - you should be able to see the file size of each - if any are getting huge - there is probably your problem.

Now - to fix em (but read the note below first - then come back here). Click on one of the files (say -- "deleted items" for starters) (don't click 'folders', 'offline', or 'pop3uidl' - these are your identity for outlook express and it needs that information to get your mail). "Deleted items" should open in 'notepad' - now you can edit the file. The object is to select all of the code in the file and delete it. Use 'control a' to select all of the text (or use 'select all' under 'edit' in toolbar - hit 'delete' key or 'control x' or 'delete' under 'edit' in toolbar - once the notebook is clear of text - hit 'control s' to save it (or use 'save' under 'file' in toolbar). Leave the extension as a ".dbx" file. You need to open each of the other files ('inbox', 'outbox', etc - again just leave 'folders', 'offline', 'pop3uidl' alone) and do the same cleanup. If you have multiple identities (the long string named files) - then you will have to do the same thing for each of those as well.

Note: Sometimes the files referenced above (especially 'deleted items') can be too large for 'notepad' to open depending on your computer memory and paging size. When you click to open the file it can take a little extra time to open - or if it cannot handle the file size, it will simply notify you of the failure and may open the file in "Wordpad" instead. Also, when you attempt to 'select all' - notepad (even wordpad) may be unable to handle the size - when that happens you will need to simply select chunks of text and delete it that way.

Finally - if you have specific emails you really, really, want to keep - create an additional folder in Outlook Express (at the user interface - not down here in the identities) and name it "Save" or "do not delete" or whatever. You need to move anything you are keeping in your 'inbox' or wherever (again - at the user interface) that you want to keep to this folder prior to performing the above maintenance. If you don't - those emails will be gone with you open outlook express.

Good luck! The multiple identities in outlook express get sorta merged in the newer version contained in Vista and Windows 7 - I like it.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”