External hard drive recommendations

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: External hard drive recommendations

Post by pbwalker »

particle wrote:I've used the Western Digital Passport for several years, and love it. They're small, and easy to transport, and I take mine with me anytime I leave the house (in case my house burns down). It's always in my Maxpedition Versipack until I need to use it. When I'm done, it goes right back in. My pack goes everywhere with me, thus I never have to remember to carry the drive with me for true backup protection.

The E-SATA connection is great, but I find the USB connection much more versatile. For example, my work computer doesn't have the E-SATA connection, but I can still use the USB to access my files from almost any computer in the world that has a USB jack.

Another thing I like about that Passport - it's powered by the USB cable, so no need to carry around an extra power cord.
:iagree:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-22136249

Can't beat it!
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Ah....yah....forgot about newegg!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
Rotgirl
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rotgirl »

Thanks to everyone for their input. I got a Seagate 500 gb. Seems easy to use.

Ciao ya'll....rg

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I have a Buffalo 250g. I use the bundled software and incremental backup. It's right next to me as I type and I don't hear it.

I do full backups on occasion or when doing a big system fix. When I bug-out for weather, I take it with me.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I like that WD Passport. It needs to come down in price to be competitive with their other products of the same size, but I like the idea of not needing another power cord.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

sixline

Post by sixline »

I would avoid Maxtor for sure. They're QC is pretty bad and has been for years. Seagate isn't much better anymore, which is unfortunate. I used to love their 10k RPM SCSI drives for video editing.

Western Digital is a good buy. I've seen 2TB MyBooks for reasonable prices.

Lacie is another decent choice. I use several for my film editing workstation hooked up through e-SATA and have never had an issue.

G-RAID is also one of the better, high quality drives, if you want to spend the cash.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”