Scanner ?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Scanner ?

Post by Piney »

Recomendations for a scanner ? I'm wanting to scan family photos. I had one a while back. It required a "pre-scan", selection of an area, then a "final scan" for every item-- way! too much time when scanning the same size photo over and over.

A-R

Re: Scanner ?

Post by A-R »

Have been using the same Epson 2450 for more than 5 years now. Epson and Canon have the best rep for good photo scans among consumer-level flatbed scanners. For most folks, anything from either of these two companies will work fine. Avoid HP for photo scans (better for text and OCR scans).

If you want much better quality, don't scan photo prints with a flatbed at all. Best results are obtained with a film negative scanner. Cheap neg scanners start around $200 on up to fully professional desktop models from Nikon and Minolta costing $5,000 or more. Then there are huge drum scanners used by pro printing studios that cost tens of thousands of dollars.

EDITED TO ADD: a dedicated negative scanner will also solve your timing issues, as usually these scan a strip of negs (5 photos?) all in one sequence. But again, these get pricey quick.
Last edited by A-R on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Piney wrote:Recomendations for a scanner ? I'm wanting to scan family photos. I had one a while back. It required a "pre-scan", selection of an area, then a "final scan" for every item-- way! too much time when scanning the same size photo over and over.
If you can find an Epson 4490Photo around somewhere, it's got both the negative scanning capability and a feature in the software that will basically let you drop as many photos on the bed as will fit, then designate their separate areas in the preview screen. (it will try to automatically determine the individual photos, but it usually needs some fine adjustments)

hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

HP makes some good ones as well, I suggest you go with one that has wireless built in, you wouldn't believe how convenient that is.
Steve

Zee

Post by Zee »

I got a Canon MP530 a few years ago. You can scan a single sheet on the glass or a stack of documents through the top. Also is a printer, copier and fax. My only complaint is if i don't set it for black and white only it the ink cartridges dry pretty quick.

If you are looking at scanners that print you might price the ink. That's where the on-going cost is.
80% Liberal, 90% Democrat, 100% Responsible gun owner.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Jesus was a Jewish Liberal

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”