Best Virus Protection / Firewall software

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Best Virus Protection / Firewall software

Post by Excaliber »

This month's issue of PCWorld rates Norton Internet Security at the top of the list, with Kaspersky a close second.

The detail in the article is worth the price of the magazine.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

One thing I don't do is wily-nily open e-mail - If I don't know the sender, I delete without opening it.

I don't visit pop up websites - ever.

This approach has helped keep virus potential down. As a bonus, I get very little spam.

No, not by any means foolproof, but this policy helps keep the wolves at bay.

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 5

Post by OldSchool »

Excaliber wrote:This month's issue of PCWorld rates Norton Internet Security at the top of the list, with Kaspersky a close second.

The detail in the article is worth the price of the magazine.
Unfortunately, I use NAV at work -- and my own tools find things that NAV doesn't catch. On top of that, NAV is one of the worst power hogs around. Used to read most of the PC mags, and won't anymore, for various reasons. ;-)
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Also you can block about 95% of more of the garbage that comes into you...by simply adding those sites to your hosts file

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What this does..even if you do download or hit a site that tries to re-direct you to a buncha garbage...it will end up going to nowhere as it gets re-directed from its valid IP to 127.0.0.1

By the way Spybot S&D does the same thing with a bit different list (when it does its "inoculation")...add them together and see how much less the garbage gets thru...only problem I found is those streaming movies sites that force you to watch the advertisements for their "funding" end up not allowing you to view the movies...small price to pay to shut down almost ALL garbage on the web!

Think of it as a list for your computer to check before it goes out on the web....if the url is in the list...your computer will NOT go to the site...and if a virus/malware/worm gets in and tries to call home and its on the list..guess what...it can't.

Its not 100% full proof..but it allows just another step in defending against stuff "calling home" if it manages to get in.
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

QB

Post by QB »

I used Norton then Avast and now use Bitdefender Total Security 2013 and really like it.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by baldeagle »

Try Immunet. It's free. You can buy the plus if you want a traditional type antivirus program, but the free version gives you better coverage than existing AV programs.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I use Trend Micro Titanium on all of my computers. Seems to work pretty well. Haven't seen it mentioned yet. Makes me wonder if I am missing something.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Microsoft Security Essentials (Free) and Malwarebytes (Not Free).

The combination of these two have worked very well for me.
The Free MSE has caught things that other (paid) solutions have missed.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

Go Linux if you can. You'll save a lots of money and probably gain performance.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

BAW1967

Post by BAW1967 »

AVG antivirus and Zone Alarm firewall, no issues at all.

AdamJ1555

Post by AdamJ1555 »

I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials a couple of months ago... Excellent performance.
NRA Member
Glock 19 G4
CHL App Submitted: 12/17/13
Plastic In Hand: 2/11/14

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

The very BEST and Bulletproof virus protection out there is to disconnect all the external ports and drives and disconnect the network cable.

Otherwise, it's as mentioned before, Ford vs Chevy.

I use Norton 360.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I use Trend Micro.
Skip Bishop

eetheredge

Post by eetheredge »

I have been in IT for over 20 years and this is a continual debate. I do not recommend one over another because the biggest determining factor for most users is "What requires the least amount of babysitting on my part?" My answer is to try at least three different ones. NOT at the same time, but pick out three and try each one for about 30 days. Most of them offer a trial and that will you an opportunity to get it installed, configured, and then you can determine your own set of pros and cons. Do this for three and if you are still not satisfied, then choose another. At least during these "trial" periods, your system will be somewhat protected and you haven't spent any money yet. Then when you have selected one you like and don't mind having, then buy it. One year only because you will need to re-evaluate at least yearly, but then if you are happy with it and nothing major has happened, then renew.

Kind of like buying a vehicle; you're not married to it and there are plenty of other choices if you become unhappy with it.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”