Need video camera information

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Need video camera information

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I need a video camcorder for use in making videos for a website and possibly for burning onto a CD or DVD. From what little research I've done, it appears that it isn't necessary to spend $4,000 or more since most of the work will be done with software editing. So, I want an HD camcorder, but I also don't want to spend more than is necessary. I also can't decide on what type of storage I want.

Here is what I can provide at this point:

1. The camcorder must have aux. audio input (built in microphone won't work);
2. The raw video will be edited either with Apple based software (I don't know what she uses) or Flash 8 Professional;
3. Video for the website will be .flv;
4. Recording duration is hard to say, but at least 1 hr; and I need the ability to offload that onto a laptop and continue recording.

That's all I can think of now about the camcorder.

I also think I should get a small, i.e. easily portable, sound mixer, if that would help me get better audio, especially for outdoor recording. I'd like opinions and recommendations on that also.

Thanks,
Chas.

gigag04

Re: Need video camera information

Post by gigag04 »

I've heard good things about Canon's Vixia line.

For external audio, I would opt for a small M-Audio or Mackie based board, over the cheaper Behringer brands.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Next time I see my friend Chad Terry I will ask him what he recommends, he is a professional in the field (he was the director, among other duties, for Ammo and Attitude).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Charles, I see you had one during the Forum day. Did you find one? You mention other needs here as well. I have been wanting to talk to you or who evey about volunteering some of my time for video projects since that is one of my side line work arenas. I used to do more, corporate and training videos etc. Of course the dreaded wedding to make some money too. But let me know.

There are some nice small ones as I saw you had last Saturday. However, you mention outdoor audio, mixer and such meaning you need different type mics, how to acquire and then get into the camera for frame accurate audio etc. Maybe we can just catch up sometime and I can show and go over some thoughts. This would make me finally finishing putting my recording studio back together and actually use it more.

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Have you considered DSLR's with HD capability? --they allow you to use different lenses and make more filmic images. Canon, Nikon, and Pentax all have various models --here's the Pentax:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... 0Recording

Supplemental audio along these lines:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... Audio.html

Sound input on the camera doesn't really matter if you're going to capture audio separately --as with the recorder above-- and mix in the video editor.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”