Database experts help!

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Database experts help!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I use Access databases for a few personal applications, but I'm thinking about doing something different. I have several websites using icdsoft as a web host. Each of those accounts include several MySQL5 databases and I would like to use those instead of Access on my desktop.

Here's my problem -- I have no idea how to set up a "front end" or user interface. The databases are currently used for CMS website so I don't have to do any programming, building of forms, etc. Do any software applications exist that would provide a user friendly front end for a MySQL5 database? Custom programming is not an option.

Thanks,
Chas.

Shu
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Database experts help!

Post by Shu »

Hey Chas,

What is your intended use of these or rather how do you utilize access. You can try this
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I use this to manipulate my databases.

dicion
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dicion »

phpmyadmin

Web Based MySQL Database Administration

Your web host may already have this setup, and can give you access to it. Lots of places use it, I use it to manage all my MySQL Databases.

If you're referring to an 'Application' front end, like using Forms in Access, then no, not that I know of. I believe Access itself can use a MySQL Database though if you set it up to. I think I've done it before, but it was a long time ago.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I have phpmyadmin available on the website, but I need the ability to create forms for data entry, standardized queries, etc. I didn't think phpmyadmin could be used for that purpose.

Chas.

Shu
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Shu »

Chas did you check the link I posted.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Shu wrote:Chas did you check the link I posted.
I took a quick look, but I'm so busy I couldn't spend much time. I'll try to look through it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chas.

dalto
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dalto »

Shu wrote:Chas did you check the link I posted.
It sounds like he is looking for a form generator like Access has. A way to enter, update and search the data without any programming or SQL skills.

Here are a couple of links I found in a google search.

http://phpformgen.sourceforge.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://webscripts.softpedia.com/script/ ... 31616.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”