Slow Restoration of Internet Connectivity After Reboot

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Slow Restoration of Internet Connectivity After Reboot

Post by Keith B »

As some of you read I ended up replacing my motherboard, CPU and RAM last week after I thought my MB was bad. Anyway, I have a lot faster system now, except on boot-up the Ethernet connection to the modem seems extremely slow to restore connectivity. Once the system boots into Windows (XP) it takes 90 - 120 seconds before the LAN connectivity is back. My old system was very quick to restore. I am pretty sure it is something with the Ethernet port connecting to the LAN vs. out to the Internet, as my local IP camera on the LAN doesn't restore until everything is back operational.

Any of you techie-geeks out there have ideas on settings, etc. that might speed this up? It is an integrated Realtek Gigabit Ethernet port on the motherboard.

Thanks!
Keith
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

dave_in_austin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Slow Restoration of Internet Connectivity After Reboot

Post by dave_in_austin »

Have you tried rebooting the router/modem that your computer's ethernet is hooked to? There may be an issue where your computer is requesting the same IP address it had before (as this is remembered in a file on the hard drive) and the device that hands out the IP address (router or modem) is refusing this address because the MAC address of your ethernet interface has changed with the new motherboard. This may result in a conservation between the two devices working out an IP address. A reboot of the router/modem should take care of this if this is the problem.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Did you load the drivers that came with the new motherboard, or did you let Windows install default drivers for you?

If you loaded the RealTek drivers, there is a diagnostic utility in the advanced properties section.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

dave_in_austin wrote:Have you tried rebooting the router/modem that your computer's ethernet is hooked to? There may be an issue where your computer is requesting the same IP address it had before (as this is remembered in a file on the hard drive) and the device that hands out the IP address (router or modem) is refusing this address because the MAC address of your ethernet interface has changed with the new motherboard. This may result in a conservation between the two devices working out an IP address. A reboot of the router/modem should take care of this if this is the problem.
Thanks for the response. Think it has been rebooted since, but will try it again and see if that helps.

Any other ideas??

Keith
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Crossfire wrote:Did you load the drivers that came with the new motherboard, or did you let Windows install default drivers for you?

If you loaded the RealTek drivers, there is a diagnostic utility in the advanced properties section.
I loaded the drivers that came with the MB. Will try the diagonostics too Crossfire. Thanks!
Keith

dicion

Post by dicion »

It may be an autonegotiation issue that eventually times out.

When it does connect, what speed does it say it connects at? 100mbit? 10mbit?

Is it a gigabit NIC?

Find out what speed it ends up connecting at in the end, and set the card to this manually, disabling any autonegotiation on speed.

If this makes it go live faster, then you have a speed autonegotiation problem somewhere.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”