PC/TV

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Commander Cody
Posts in topic: 3

PC/TV

Post by Commander Cody »

What do I need to use my TV as a monitor for my PC?
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: PC/TV

Post by pbwalker »

Commander Cody wrote:What do I need to use my TV as a monitor for my PC?
What types of input does your TV have?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I don’t know. It has a bunch of input connectors, but I don’t know for sure. It’s a new TV and has more stuff than I know how to operate. I will be near the TV this weekend and I’ll try to write down what it says on the input connectors.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

If it is a newer TV, LCD flat screen type, it probably has a VGA input. That is most likely the same 15 pin connector that your PC uses to connect to your monitor now. All you have to do is connect the same cable to your TV.

That is the simple answer. There is also DVI and HDMI, but unless you also have a newer, higher end PC, it probably doesn't have those outputs for video.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Thank you Crossfire. I think I can get there from here.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

My LCD is Samsung LED backlit, it has the PC vga connector as stated, I use it as the monitor with the standard VGA cord

It also allows special VGA from computer to HDMI cords which cost a bit and don't offer the benefit of using Picture-in-Picture to use computer while watching TV in the little window, so I went with the plain VGA cord, just like the one that went to my old monitor.

Not all brands/models have P-I-P, but that's why I used the VGA cord.
Not all LCD TVs are LED backlit, but mine uses 33 watts, where my old tube tv used 75 watts and my brother's Plasma uses 600 watts, and his CFL LCD uses 200 .... my electric bill maxes out at $75 in the Summer now instead of what it used to be, My brother's is $500 a month. LED backlighting rocks, everyone who got a "regular" LCD who sees my LED TV says "I wish my picture was that good" (I'm no expert, but that's what THEY say)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

terryg

Post by terryg »

RPB wrote:It also allows special VGA from computer to HDMI cords which cost a bit
FWIW - most VGA video card will not support the special VGA to HDMI cables. But there are a several VGA to HDMI converter devices out there that will take a computer VGA signal and output HDMI. Most will also take the computer's stereo audio output and embed the audio onto the HDMI output so that the TV can play the audio. They are typically under $100.

So if your TV does not have a VGA input, one of these boxes can still allow you to display the computer on it. Here is one:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... this space intentionally left blank ...

terryg

Post by terryg »

Russell wrote:If your computer is newer and has DVI outputs, going DVI to HDMI would be a cleaner, sharper picture. The entire output is digital, as opposed to converting from analog (VGA) to digital (HDMI) which results in loss of quality due to it being analog to begin with.
That is also correct. And that can be done with a simple cable such as this one:

Or with an adapter such as this one:

... this space intentionally left blank ...

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I hooked my uncle's up with HDMI, and mine with VGA, not any difference in quality that I can tell without some test instrument, but on his, he can't get picture in picture since it requires one digital input (tuner) and one analog (PC) so I'll switch his to the VGA input next visit so he can see both at the same time in Picture-in-picture too.

Just play with it till you like it on either VGA or HDMI, even with VGA, you can set your "resolution" to even more than 1080 on most any modern video card. and re-size picture on computer and TV both nowdays. I prefer Picture-in-picture, and still easily read from across the room. There's always CTRL + wheel to zoom in, and I use Wireless keyboard and wireless 5000 mouse (with the blue laser, which tracks on carpet or anything).
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

reality99

Post by reality99 »

As others have said, a lot depends on the computer you have and the video ports on it. I've got a "cheap" LCD TV thats close to 2 years old that has both HDMI and VGA inputs, but newer TVs commonly have DVI-D ports as well. VGA to VGA would probably be the easiest as most computers have at least 1 VGA output. Figure out what ports your computer has, then what inputs your TV has then you can order the correct cable. VGA is an analog input/output while HDMI and DVI-D are digital. It is easy to go from a digital output on your PC to an analog input on your TV, but going from an analog output on your computer (ie VGA) to a digital input on the TV (HDMI/DVI-D) is going to cost a lot more because you will need a special converter. Once you figure out what you need, I would recommend http://www.monoprice.com-I have placed several orders from them and have never had a problem with the products, although I did get the "your items have shipped" email about 3 days after they arrived...I don't have any association with them, I just use them for cheap cables-there is no reason to pay $50+ for an HDMI to HDMI cable at BestBuy when one of the same quality can be bought form these guys for 1/4 of the price. (The quality is the same-I've got 3 monitors and a TV hooked up using only their cables and haven't had any issues). Pics are included below to help you figure out what ports your TV/computer has if they aren't labeled. Good luck!

If you have any problems or other questions feel free to shoot me a PM

VGA:

DVI:

HDMI:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

While buying HDMI cables on line is the probably the cheapest way to get these cables. If one needs them in a hurry or just prefers to make their purchases at brick and mortar stores. The cables can be bought at a reasonable price at Target, Sam's Club, Wally World, Cosco or Fryes. Best buy and Radio shack are are very expencive for these cables. Make sure you your cables are long enough. Do not get suckered in to buying the premium cables like Monster cables. The Cable is either gonna work or it isn't.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

I build my own multimedia PC. My boxes have HDMI output from the motherboard, and I can plug into any modern big screen. I use wireless keyboard and mouse.

Functionally, I have a bluray drive for Redbox DVD in the computer and wireless networking to stream Netflix movies and TV.

If you have an older motherboard you can buy a newer video card with HDMI output for under $100.

I use Directron.com in Houston for most of my parts. They keep most things in stock, but are sometimes slow for local pickup.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”