Macbook Air Question & Wifi

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 1

Macbook Air Question & Wifi

Post by snatchel »

I get this message all the time when i'm on the wifi at work. What does it mean? After the message pops up, my wifi immediately switches to another network.

Please help.

No More Signature

TrueFlog

Re: Macbook Air Question & Wifi

Post by TrueFlog »

If your company has IT support, I'd recommend you contact them first. Beyond that, here's my best guess.

Most likely, your MacBook is configured to use a static IP address (10.208.100.28), and someone else on the network is also using the same address. If that's the case, you have two options. My recommendation is to switch to using a dynamic IP address, and this problem should go away forever. Alternately, you switch to using a different static IP address (eg. 10.208.100.29).
Steps to resolve are as follows:
1. Open your System Preferences
2. Click on "Network"
3. On the left, select your AirPort connection
4. Click "Advanced" in the lower right
5. Select the TCP/IP tab
6. Check the value for "Configure IPv4". If it says "Using DHCP", quit now; my guess was wrong, and these steps won't help you. If it says "Using DHCP with manual address" or "Manually", then continue.
7a. To use a dynamic IP, change the value of the "Configure IPv4" field to "Using DHCP".
7b. To use a different static IP address, change the value of the "IPv4 Address" field to a new value in the format 10.208.100.xxx (eg. 10.208.100.129).
8. Click OK
9. Click Apply
Try re-connecting to your company's WiFi, and it should all work. Note that if you chose to conitue using static IP (7b), it's possible that the new IPv4 address is also already in use by another computer. In that case, you may have to repeat the process several times using different values for 7b.

The IP Address is similar to a mailing address, in that it allows computers on a network to identify each other and send data to each other. Most PC's and Macs can be configured to use either a static IP or a dynamic IP. With a static IP, you pick your own IP address and then tell the network what address you're using. If two computers on the same network both try to specify the same static IP address, it creates a problem, and only one will be allowed to join. (Imagine how confusing it would be if everyone on your street had the same street number.) The static IP is generally considered an advanced feature and can be difficult to correctly configure. For this reason, it should only be setup by a network administrator. Most people don't benefit from having a static IP, so it's usually not worth the extra trouble. (However, a static IP is like a CHL - when you need it, you really need it.) With a dynamic IP, you let the network assign your IP to you when you join. Since the network knows what addresses are already in use, it can be sure to give you a valid IP. No special configuration is needed, so this option is best suited to the average user.
Last edited by TrueFlog on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

TrueFlog wrote:If your company has IT support, I'd recommend you contact them first. Beyond that, here's my best guess.

Most likely, your MacBook is configured to use a static IP address (10.208.100.28), and someone else on the network is also using the same address. If that's the case, you have two options. My recommendation is to switch to using a dynamic IP address, and this problem should go away forever. Alternately, you switch to using a different static IP address (eg. 10.208.100.29).
Steps to resolve are as follows:
1. Open your System Preferences
2. Click on "Network"
3. On the left, select your AirPort connection
4. Click "Advanced" in the lower right
5. Select the TCP/IP tab
6. Check the value for "Configure IPv4". If it says "Using DHCP", quit now; my guess was wrong, and these steps won't help you. If it says "Using DHCP with manual address" or "Manually", then continue.
7a. To use a dynamic IP, change the value of the "Configure IPv4" field to "Using DHCP".
7b. To use a different static IP address, change the value of the "IPv4 Address" field to a new value in the format 10.208.100.xxx (eg. 10.208.100.129).
8. Click OK
9. Click Apply
Try re-connecting to your company's WiFi, and it should all work. Note that if you chose to conitue using static IP (7b), it's possible that the new IPv4 address is also already in use by another computer. In that case, you may have to repeat the process several times using different values for 7b.
:iagree:
Theoretically, you can pick any unused number between 1 and 255 to replace the last octet in the IPv4 address (.xxx) but .1 (.001) and 254-255 may already be in use and generally IMHO you'll have better success choosing something above 100 or between 100 and 200 as TrueFlog showed.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I STRONGLY advise against randomly picking an IP address. Picking the wrong one can bring havoc to a network. (Server, IDF router, Bosses computer.)
At the very least, launch network utilities and ping it first. Even then, it could be an important piece of equipment that's is either not online at the moment, or set to not answer pings.
Best advice, contact IT.

DocV

Post by DocV »

snatchel wrote:I get this message all the time when i'm on the wifi at work. What does it mean? After the message pops up, my wifi immediately switches to another network.

Please help.
The IP is on the 10 net (ie, 10.x.x.x) which is non-routed (RFC 1918) address space used for private networks. Record the IP, then open System Preferences [Note: If system preferences is not on your launch bar, click on the spotlight magnifying glass icon and type system preferences. That will open the preferences dialog for you.)
Locate the Network Preferences Icon and click it. You should see "Airport" with an wireless indicator indicator. Select that using a single click. Locate the button labeled "Advanced". Click it. Locate the label "TCP/IP" click it. Record all of the displayed data so that you can restore it if needed.
Locate the drop down arrow next to the label "Configure IPV4". Click it. Select DHCP. Click OK. That will return you to the network dialog. Click Apply.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”