Freak occurrance: Stuck escape key

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Freak occurrance: Stuck escape key

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Okay, this is so strange I have to let folks know in case it bits them also.

I use a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse that are several years old. All of a sudden, I couldn't drag and drop anything, including emails, desktop icons, files, etc. When I tried to print something in Word, it said the printer wasn't installed (it was), but the document would print find on that same printer using WordPerfect.

I tried booting in safe mode, but it was no help. When I rebooted, it locked up at the stage where a driver (ClassPNP.sys) was loading. (I was able to get past this logjam by hitting F8 as though I was launching Safe Mode, but stopping as soon as it got past the ClassPHP.sys hangup.) I then tried a restore point and that action failed because it couldn't mount a necessary file. BY THIS TIME I'M REALLY HOT!!!!

I launched a Microsoft troubleshooting video and expanded it to full screen. After realizing it was useless, I reached for the Esc key to get out of full screen mode and realized the key was stuck down. I released it and everything works fine. I tried at least 20 times to make it stick again, but it won't.

So, after throwing away about 2 hours, I'm back to work. :banghead:

Chas.

92f-fan

Re: Freak occurrance: Stuck escape key

Post by 92f-fan »

Congratulations on good troubleshooting
In most cases a stuck key will make a noise - unless thats been turned off
Also many BIOS generate keyboard error on reboot if a key is stuck down ....

Excaliber

Re: Freak occurrance: Stuck escape key

Post by Excaliber »

Hadn't heard of that one before - a good one to keep filed away for those one in a million problem moments.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”