Are there any Linux users on this board?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Are there any Linux users on this board?

Post by Beiruty »

Anyone is a Linux Mint fan?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

Never run MINT.

Topic author
bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 37

Post by bmwrdr »

It is slick and fast. I had it running in a VM for a while but not the current release. But I removed my Windows partition since when my virus scanner was due for a $$ license renewal. I don't miss that bloatware OS at all.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Try OpenSUSE or Ubuntu, It has everything you are asking for. If Gnome slows your system down just try KDE. There is also a release out called Kubuntu. I haven't tried it but a friend of mine says it is the ultimate OS for him. I got tired of paying virus software subscriptions and dealing with Windows 8/ 8.1 and OpenSUSE 13.1 did the trick for me.

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

There is nothing wrong with Redhat or CentOS.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Have loaded multiple linux variations on a system for many years but just like Mac, the applications I need to run my business just are not available on anything other than Windows. I do not see any advantage to running windows in linux or mac. I still do most of my work with XP pro and see no reason to upgrade. I know people that are still running DOS. I don't think the average person cares about what operating system they use, only about the applications they use and does it work.

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

True, who cares about the OS. What I do care for, since there is no way to avoid the internet, is the fact I have to buy a anti virus subscription. It took me one year to get everything to work on Linux but for me it is worth every minute I spent.

koolaid
Posts in topic: 3

Post by koolaid »

rotor wrote:Have loaded multiple linux variations on a system for many years but just like Mac, the applications I need to run my business just are not available on anything other than Windows. I do not see any advantage to running windows in linux or mac. I still do most of my work with XP pro and see no reason to upgrade. I know people that are still running DOS. I don't think the average person cares about what operating system they use, only about the applications they use and does it work.
XP is being end of lifed next year, which means no more security updates. Would really recommend updating to a supported OS before that happens. Even if you don't personally care about your computer, it will only be a matter of time before it gets hijacked and added to a botnet, which affects other people.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

True, XP is end of life and in less it is isolated from the internet, prone to be exploited due to its popularity. And once MS dumps it the "security firms" won't update their software either.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

DOS is end of life too, a long time ago. But when you have software and hardware that require one operating system there is not much one can do to "upgrade" to something else that your applications and hardware won't work with. I would be very surprised if Norton and the other anti virus suppliers drop XP just because MS does. At least for now anyhow. I think there is a lucrative market still to be had selling to the xp crowd. And if I am wrong about that then I don't know what I will do.

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

And that is exactly the point why I made my decission to go with Linux only!

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

Yes, since Kernel 2.0.0 with a Slackware version called "Slackware 96" and I still utilize slackware to this day. I also use Debian, SuSE, Ubuntu, and others including an Android variant called Cyanogenmod.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

I started with Slackware back in the mid 90s and never looked back at the MSFT world. Today we run Fedora and Centos on most of our machines but we play with other distros for fun. All our computers and laptops all run Linux. No MSFT or Apple to be found in our home.

It's nice to know Linux because my phone runs Linux and I can ssh into it. From my phone I can ssh back to my desktop and check my mail (using mutt) from anywhere in the world. Love it.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”