Need old computer

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need old computer

Post by LDB415 »

CP/M Control Program for Microcomputers.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

o b juan wrote:This post reminds me I Have A KAY-PRO 10 Mega bites they called a portable weighed about 35 lbs the key board cinched into the front and covered the screen which was about 8 " wide x 6 high & green.
Ashton Tate was a name that had somthing to do with it and danged if I dont still have all the books on programming.. I believe it was called CPM (Critical Path Method?) It was set up for me by a guy who worked for me, in my printshop.

Did acount lists. receivables, 3 check books and accts payable and it was hooked into a cannono typwriter to do all the printouts from late 83 till june 88..

I knew nothing except how to enter and print it did all the adding and subtracting.

It had some games but didnt use very much for that..

havent turned it on sine 88 did it a few minutes ago and it came on but forgot how to access the durn thing.\

It cost 3,200.00 when I bought it in 88..

Things sure have cahnged; acception would be me I still KnoW ; next to nothing about computers :cheers2:
Control Program for Microprocessors

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

Pawpaw wrote:CP/M stood for Control Program for Microcomputers. It was one of the original Disk Operating Systems (DOS) for small computers.

In fact, Bill Gates ported it over from the original 8080 processor to the 8086 (with a few changes) and sold it to IBM as PC DOS to be bundled with their IBM PC.
Microsoft licensed, and later bought, DOS from Seattle Computer Works; it was written by Tim Paterson, who reverse engineered it from CP/M for the 8086.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

SRO1911 wrote:I do believe im in somewhat the same boat. Just bought a pair of GM300's with duplexer, controller, the whole shebang and a complete MSF500. I've got a 486 machine and the cables you are welcome to use if you ever get up near abilene - - if you have the software lol, thats our current stopping point. We have looked into a few of the aftermarket/open source programs but would really prefer the actual motorola packet.
I'll try to find a link for the RSS.
SRO1911 wrote:On a good note though - took about 7 minutes on the phone to get our frequencies.
How in the world did you do that!? It took me several weeks and some help from another ham. Is it a 70 cm pair or 2 meters? The waiting list for 2 meter pairs in the greater Houston area is longer than my remaining expected lifespan.

Chas.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

erecycler over in garland has tons of older machines
my first brother in law works in the electronics shop there
pm me and i will give you his number
we picked up a new to us laptop screen last year for pennies
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

OMG. I have a 386 PC circa 1993 up in the attic.

Don't get you're hopes up: hasn't been powered-on since 2000, and it's been living in Houston attic conditions.

I'll pull it down and test it this weekend, but my bet bet is no-go, even if I switch out a new power supply.

I'll try, though. Think I even have an old, unused, 386 motherboard up there...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

We have an old 486 that hasn't been used for a LONG time. We were just discussing recently needing to wipe it and dispose of it. If it would help it is yours.

ETA - as far as I know it works fine - has been in a/c in my daughter's room - was her "math game" computer when she was little. We just never moved it off her desk.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Divided Attention wrote:We have an old 486 that hasn't been used for a LONG time. We were just discussing recently needing to wipe it and dispose of it. If it would help it is yours.

ETA - as far as I know it works fine - has been in a/c in my daughter's room - was her "math game" computer when she was little. We just never moved it off her desk.
Thanks, I think the 486 machines will run the software. I'll email about picking it up

Thanks again,
Chas.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I would advise some caution regarding the 486 on that radio. The fastest I recall an Intel 386 running was 25mhz (some amd based chips hit 40mhz) while the 486 started out at 16mhz and 25 mhz they got as fast as 133mhz IIRC. I suspect the 486DX will probably work while the DX2 and DX4 might give you heart burn due to the cpu clock being run on a multiplier off the bus clock. I am basing this off of what I remember on the 386 and 486 class processors as well as what you posted about bricking the radio. I could be, and probably am, wrong but I would be careful running the 486 machine.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Skiprr wrote:OMG. I have a 386 PC circa 1993 up in the attic.

Don't get you're hopes up: hasn't been powered-on since 2000, and it's been living in Houston attic conditions.

I'll pull it down and test it this weekend, but my bet bet is no-go, even if I switch out a new power supply.

I'll try, though. Think I even have an old, unused, 386 motherboard up there...
Looks like a no-go. Attempted power-on fried a capacitor on the board. Nice zap and pop, though.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

G.A. Heath wrote:I would advise some caution regarding the 486 on that radio. The fastest I recall an Intel 386 running was 25mhz (some amd based chips hit 40mhz) while the 486 started out at 16mhz and 25 mhz they got as fast as 133mhz IIRC. I suspect the 486DX will probably work while the DX2 and DX4 might give you heart burn due to the cpu clock being run on a multiplier off the bus clock. I am basing this off of what I remember on the 386 and 486 class processors as well as what you posted about bricking the radio. I could be, and probably am, wrong but I would be careful running the 486 machine.
Ouch! I'd better not try the 486 machine. I'm going to use it to program radios for kids joining a new youth amateur radio club and I can't risk bricking one of their GM300s. Thanks anyway Divided Attention, I really appreciate you trying to help.

Chas.

chop249

Post by chop249 »

I know this is an old topic but try these guys in Arlington. http://www.electronicdiscountsales.com/ ... 1285705257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chop249

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

I have an old macine in attic. Been there about 10 yrs. let me take look this weekend to see what I have
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”