Need Ideas and Suggestions

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
tfrazier
Posts in topic: 4

Need Ideas and Suggestions

Post by tfrazier »

New site for CHL information at http://www.chlgrapevine.com

I also see that the Texas3006 site has a great start on 30.06 sign sightings. Anybody have suggestions on other content or features that everyone could use but no one is providing? Send me an email, PM, or just reply here if you want.

I have a full blown portal and database, so the possibilities are pretty wide open. It's just that my mind has left (don't worry though, it's weak so it won't get far).

UPDATE: I implemented a live chat room system. Come over by by clicking here and try it out. You can use it as an anonymous guest or register if you want to create your own private chat rooms.
Last edited by tfrazier on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.A. Heath »

How about a CHL wiki?

Topic author
tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

G.A. Heath wrote:How about a CHL wiki?
Good idea! I'll plug that mod in tomorrow.

Crossfire

Re: Need Ideas and Suggestions

Post by Crossfire »

tfrazier wrote:It's just that my mind has left (don't worry though, it's weak so it won't get far).
:thumbsup: That SO describes me! I may have to steal that line and use it occasionally. If I can remember it...
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
tfrazier

Re: Need Ideas and Suggestions

Post by tfrazier »

llwatson wrote: :thumbsup: That SO describes me! I may have to steal that line and use it occasionally. If I can remember it...
Just don't steal it at night. Theft is safer in the daytime in Texas :twisted:

LedJedi
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LedJedi »

Excellent idea Smithers :) <cackling>

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

LedJedi wrote:
Excellent idea Smithers :) <cackling>
Hm. Not right for my little ammo purchasing database, but this could have merit, Smithers. ;-) It took that conversation and this to trip the gray-matter trigger, so to speak. What can I say; I'm gettin' old.

We could do this fairly easily...so long as hosting it externally to the TXCHL Forum is acceptable. Charles could get it done through Network Solutions and external consultants, but he digs into his personal pocket enough. And gives his time essentially free to teach NRA courses. Just in case ya'll didn't know.

I know LedJedi likes the idea of a wiki. :grin: He could create the wiki, or I'd be happy to. Wouldn't change the face or content of this Forum, just provide an area of, uh, collective intelligence for reference about any given, related subject. In the conversational nature of our Forum, unless people make a significant effort to search through prior posts certain subjects keep being raised again and again (Post Office carry, for instance, or shotgun recoil).

I personally question the "hive knowledge" authority of Wikipedia (did ya'll see that the entry for Chris Benoit contained a statement of his wife's death approximately 14 hours before the ME estimated the actual time of death? Creepy...), but it's unquestionably become an accepted medium of reference. And for focused subjects like firearms and self defense, I'd frankly have more confidence in it.

Visit Wikipedia to get an idea of what this thing looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (but ignore the fancy columns and daily news stuff; ain't happenin'...unless LedJedi commits to maintaining those cosmetics :smile: ).

I blame you, LedJedi, for this idea and for not letting me sleep tonight. But I will host the wiki if folks decide it's a good idea and we need a server/domain to call home.

Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

tfrazier wrote:
Good idea! I'll plug that mod in tomorrow.
Sorry, Tim. (Sound of large balloon deflating slowly.)

Your last note relative to the wiki was May 23. You got it? Or do you want LedJedi or me to pick it up?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
tfrazier

CHL Wiki

Post by tfrazier »

I had one up at the old CHLGrapevine site for about a month but got no input. I took it down and have just recently revamped my entire site. If I put up a Wiki it'll be sometime down the road since I'm currently swamped with migrating three sites to a real data center instead of my laundry room at the house.

You guys jump in and set one up, no sense waiting on me.

I do have a chat room that now remains stable and up: http://www.reizarf.com/chlgrapevine/myc ... yChat.php3
Just register, choose the CHLGrapevine room, and log in.

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki

actually, i'm not all that bananas over wiki. I just thought it would be kinda cool to have one for gun related issues, but upon further thought there's no reason we couldn't just put the information we want to store into the main wikipedia.

you're right. the info on wikipedia is at times questionable, but that's because it's basically a public works project. i wouldn't base an important study on the accuracy of the information in any wiki anywhere. It is usually a good source for general information so long as you keep in mind that it may not be 100% accurate (and sometimes just flat out wrong). It's just the nature of the beast with that stuff.

For an ammo reference, a wiki would not work well (i agreed with that earlier too). You really would need a relational database with a web front end to do it correctly, but that's a pain to set up from scratch. A publicly viewable google spreadsheet would probably serve the purpose.

I don't mind setting one up or hosting it at all, but again, I would suggest just putting any information we want on the main wikipedia site. No need to reinvent the wheel.

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

I'll do an ammo db if people really want it. I have plenty of time at work...
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »