Adware plague with audio.

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 7

Adware plague with audio.

Post by bmwrdr »

Did anybody else experience an annoying issue with audio playing on the PC after a web browser is started?
I had this going on a few times so far. When I close the browser it keeps playing, mostly commercial.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
bmwrdr

Re: Adware plague with audio.

Post by bmwrdr »

The problem is discovered. It is malware and the author is Stanislav Kabin. The malware consists of 4 files and Windows defender does not discover it. I removed all permissions from the executable file but did not delete it at this point.

01/26/2015 11:37 AM 882 4119944f98.dat
01/26/2015 11:37 AM 1,165,688 4119944f98.exe <---- the culprit
01/26/2015 12:11 PM 0 aa5cd42316c20e0
02/26/2015 02:07 PM 38 c7586b1716b8c734

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Does Malwarebytes find it?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I am a big fan of SuperAntiSpyware. It has found, and fixed, things for me that Malwarebytes overlooked.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Keith B wrote:Does Malwarebytes find it?
Thanks for the tip. I use Spybot and it didn't find it. When the PC started playing today I checked the processes in task manager and there it was. I left the files in place but removed all permissions and it is silent now.
Rest assured, I need this Windows machine for my current project only and once I am done Windows will go through the window and replaced with Linux.

Prankster707
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Prankster707 »

Bitdefender is a pretty solid virus/malware/adware/etc program. You'll pay a pretty penny for it, but I'd definitely recommend their total defense, I believe that's what it's call, one. It comes with tons of different stuff than just the basic free ones you can download anywhere. Also has a thing called Bitdefender Wallet that keeps your credit card and stuff under lock and key so when you purchase online, it's nigh impossible for keyloggers to steal your numbers.
Wooo, Texas!

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Prankster707 wrote:Bitdefender is a pretty solid virus/malware/adware/etc program. You'll pay a pretty penny for it, but I'd definitely recommend their total defense, I believe that's what it's call, one. It comes with tons of different stuff than just the basic free ones you can download anywhere. Also has a thing called Bitdefender Wallet that keeps your credit card and stuff under lock and key so when you purchase online, it's nigh impossible for keyloggers to steal your numbers.
I use the Windows PC just for certain tasks and it resides on a secluded VLAN. My private and business applications and data is on a hardened Linux machine and isolated from the Windows PC.
Don't get me wrong but when I update the virus definition of any product, by the time the full scan is completed there is a new virus definition available.
"rlol"

Prankster707

Post by Prankster707 »

I use the Windows PC just for certain tasks and it resides on a secluded VLAN. My private and business applications and data is on a hardened Linux machine and isolated from the Windows PC.
Don't get me wrong but when I update the virus definition of any product, by the time the full scan is completed there is a new virus definition available.
"rlol"
I'm not familiar with Linux, lol, but that's pretty funny.
Wooo, Texas!

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Prankster707 wrote: I'm not familiar with Linux, lol, but that's pretty funny.
No big deal. With Windows you have to buy security and with Linux you have built in security.

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

you dont have to buy security for windows - just like Linux - you have to know what you are doing and how to do it

the "built in security " in Linux is that its ~1% of the user market, and many of the people writing viruses use linux so they prefer to target something other than linux.

Linux is easily compromised because of all its components and dependencies, if you dont keep all the important pieces patched its just like windows it becomes an open invitation ...

Linux is popular in the "internet is free " mentality. Everything is free, hardware, software, unlimited bandwidth, movies, music, peoples time, it all should be free...

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

92f-fan wrote:you dont have to buy security for windows - just like Linux - you have to know what you are doing and how to do it

the "built in security " in Linux is that its ~1% of the user market, and many of the people writing viruses use linux so they prefer to target something other than linux.

Linux is easily compromised because of all its components and dependencies, if you dont keep all the important pieces patched its just like windows it becomes an open invitation ...

Linux is popular in the "internet is free " mentality. Everything is free, hardware, software, unlimited bandwidth, movies, music, peoples time, it all should be free...
:thumbs2: Right on and good luck in your chosen profession.

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

bmwrdr wrote:
92f-fan wrote:you dont have to buy security for windows - just like Linux - you have to know what you are doing and how to do it

Disagreement can be healthy. Even entertaining.
Pivoting to direct at person rather than the subject or ad hominem, shows weakness...
There are a LOT of people in "your industry" on here, many people with many opinions. All with same value...

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Linux, Windows, Mac OSX, BSD, ect. are all easily compromised simply because they are complex systems that have flaws due to the fact they are made by humans. If you do not keep them, and the individual components, updated then you run the risk of being compromised. All operating systems can be attacted using "Zero-Day" exploits. A Zero-Day exploit is an exploit that is not widely known/published so that the author of the affected software can fix it. Windows is the most commonly compromised system simply because it is more popular. The inverse is true for the other operating systems. Open BSD is designed with security in mind, but as a result it develops at a much slower rate and does not run well on cutting edge hardware.

In the end Linux and BSD variants tend to see a quicker discovery to patch time for flaws, but only those truly in the know actually can take advantage of it because the packages used to update a distribution have to be verified by the distributor to ensure they work well on their systems. Some software that is a problem on windows machines can be found on Linux and other systems, such as the often compromised Adobe Flash player.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

92f-fan wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:

Disagreement can be healthy. Even entertaining.
Pivoting to direct at person rather than the subject or ad hominem, shows weakness...
There are a LOT of people in "your industry" on here, many people with many opinions. All with same value...
I am sorry if you take this personal and my comment was not meant to offend you. I just have not had an issue with a Linux distro but several issues with the MS platform I mentioned which is actually a VM now running on a Linux host.

Cheers and don't take it too serious.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”