Proxy servers

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Proxy servers

Post by mojo84 »

Another thread got me to thinking.

Do you guys that use a proxy server use it all the time or just as needed? Is there a charge? Do the proxy servers track or log your activity? Easy or difficult to setup?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Proxy servers

Post by LDB415 »

And for some of us, also, where does one even find a proxy and what else does a very first time user need to know?
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

jmra

Post by jmra »

I've never used one but I googled this:
http://free-proxyserver.com
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Interesting. I did a Google search and saw a list but didn't know for sure about what I was seeing.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:Interesting. I did a Google search and saw a list but didn't know for sure about what I was seeing.
Looks like you just type in the address you want and you're good to go.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

DocV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DocV »

Remember that http is a clear text protocol, as-is the default outbound mail protocol SMTP and the IMAP or POP inbound mail protocols. Some people have unfortunately discovered their account user-ids and passwords were compromised when using the TOR network to check their mail. (http://www.wired.com/2007/11/swedish-researc/)

Given the TOR networks' popularity in the seedier side of the Internet, it is judicious to assume that many TOR nodes are compromised and monitored. The same goes for SOCKS or other proxy services. Also remember that your packets will go through your ISP's gateway even when using a proxy. Instrumenting that last mile combined with end-point analysis would make child's play of monitoring conversations.

I do not consider standard proxy services to be an effective mechanism for maintaining privacy.

jmra

Post by jmra »

But will they work to get to blocked websites like this one often is on many networks?
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jmra wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Interesting. I did a Google search and saw a list but didn't know for sure about what I was seeing.
Looks like you just type in the address you want and you're good to go.
Yeah, I see that now. Thanks

DocV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DocV »

jmra wrote:But will they work to get to blocked websites like this one often is on many networks?
Yes, but at the potential cost of compromising one's login credentials. Better to build a VPN tunnel into one's home network or a reverse ssh connection.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I've posted about proxy servers in the past, and you can see some of my comments in the links below:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60691&start=15#p745602
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60691#p745698
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=73604&hilit=+witopia#p926730

Suffice to say, I use them a LOT, mainly because of my international travel schedule. I spend a lot of time in countries which may or may not be impressed with my interest in politics, guns, or other topics, and I'd just as soon they not be able to monitor me too easily.

Yes, it does give me a bit of stealth when I'm visiting sites, but only as much as I want. For instance, the host country where I am may not know that I'm visiting the TexasCHLForum, but Mr. Cotton surely knows - since I've used my username and password to log in. Of course, anyone tracking the postings of individual users on this specific site would still be able to record and catalog my writings (based on my username), but I don't expect that all my host countries are doing such.

Using these services is easy. I use Witopia, and the installation of their software on my machine is as intuitive as doing anything else. If you try to use it and have any challenges, please feel free to send me a PM here, and we'll try to work it out together.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

I am a frequent user of Hola, another free service. While it does allow me to bypass any web filtering that may be present (for example, while visiting the Dept of State Passport Office in Dallas, recently, I found that they blocked access to this very own web site, for some reason, and using Hola, I was able to bypass the DOS proxy server to surf the TexasCHL Forum without worry), my main use is to watch BBC Television programs as if I were in The U. K., or to listen to my old Alma Mater, AFRTS as if I were still stationed in Turkey, or Germany, or to listen to FEN (AFRTS's Far East Network) as if I were in Japan.

Hola, especially with an Ipad or IPhone, is quite simple to use, and works like a charm.

As for tracking, who knows? I'm sure there may be a discoverable trace if someone really wants to find out my listening habits badly enough, but I don't own enough tin foil to make a hat that size!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”