The value of "hands free" cell phone technology...

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

The value of "hands free" cell phone technology...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

We recently got a new cell phone account, and purchased the new Motorola Razor V3 phones...

Now granted these are on the high end of the market now, but I figure why not...We'll have them for a couple of years till something new comes out...And even then who knows...

One of the technical features (some of the newer models of cell phones have) is the "Blue Tooth" wireless feature...It allows the user to have a wireless link to the phone, with only an earpiece to use on your person...

The phone can be up to around 30 feet from the earpiece and function very reliably...I've tested this feature already...Works great...

You can voice dial any number you have setup in your "directory" and dial without ever touching your phone now...

The one thing I thing that ties this into the whole self-defence issue here on this website is that I believe it is another tool we can better use in this fashion if we are ever involved in a defensive shooting incident...

(i.e.: both hands free to maintain good control over the weapon, and not have to fumble and take too much attention off the situation at hand...etc etc)

The one thing I am not sure of, and will have to ask around about is if I can voice dial 911 from the earpiece (with of course the obligatory touch of the activation switch, one time)...

I don't have 911 put in my directory, and wonder if that number is embedded in the phones memory anyway???

Interesting thought though...Something I do not want to test out, because of the real purpose of the 911 system...

"Hi, 911???"

"Yeah, just testing out my cell phone voice dial system..."

"buh bye..."

[Steve gets a knock on the door a little later...Opps]

But Steve is a little sharper than the average bowling ball sometimes...FYI... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

AOPAPilot
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AOPAPilot »

Bluetooth ROCKS. My car is equipped for it and I use it all the time with my Razr V3 (sold for a 750i Ericsson) Do you have a headset for it? I just sold my V3 and still have my headset which is practically bran new, comes with a charger. Nehoo, if you need one let me know, it is the HS850

Info-

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/5531.html

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Yeah, we're just now graduating into the 21st century... :lol:

I figured I'd be happier if I was able to two hand my "defensive firearm" and still be able to talk to a 911 dispatcher while still being able to cover effectively the threat at hand...

I have been known to be able to chew bubblegum, pat and rub my belly at the same time...But doing all that at the same time...

It'll just make me look funny...People will laugh at me...

And we can't have that... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

dws1117
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dws1117 »

It'll just make me look funny...People will laugh at me...
I don't buy that for a minute.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by KBCraig »

Bluetooth is cool technology, but don't forget to double-check your security settings.

Here is a good explanation why: http://trifinite.org/trifinite_stuff_carwhisperer.html

Kevin

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I am picturing the scenario:

Here's Steve, suddenly accosted by Bad Guys, and he voice dials 911 as he draws his trusty concealed handgun in defense of himself and his family.

911 Operator: "911 what is your emergency?"

Steve: "This is stevie_d_64, we are at the corner of Main and Central and my wife and kids and I have just been assaulted by several young men with knives."

911: "How many young men and can you describe them?"

Steve: (BLAM!!!) "Well, one is bleeding, by the way, we now have shots fired and one of the BGs is down."

911: "Are they shooting?"

Steve: (BLAM!!!)(BLAM!!!)(BLAM!!!) "No, I am, we have two more down but the first one is trying to continue his assault (BLAM!!!) Well, you might want to send the coroner too."

911: "YOU'RE SHOOTING??? How can you be shooting and on the phone at the same time?"

Steve: (BLAM!!!) [as an aside "tough little sucker"] (BLAM!!!) "Tell the responding officers that I will holster my gun when they arrive. We now have four out of four BGs down and awaiting EMS and arrest.

By the way, while we're waiting can I tell you about this neat new phone I have, with Bluetooth technology I can wear a headset that leaves my hands free to participate in a gunfight."

:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

BTW, I was building (wired) hands free sets for my ham radios years ago, and migrated my skills to cell phones when they came out. Most cell phones have the appropriate jacks and I don't mind dealing with the wires. My current cell even voice dials if I set the system up right, it's just with a wired headset.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jim, this is priceless! :lol: :lol:

Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraCoun

Cell phones and 911 ...

Post by TraCoun »

A few months ago I heard (don't ask me where, when or from whom, I'm too old :lol: :oops: ) that EVERY cell phone, no matter whether you have it 'with' a service provider or not, is supposed to be capable of calling 911. Not exactly relevant to this discussion, but something to think about if you have old ones laying around gathering dust ... like I do.

TraCoun

Tom

Re: Cell phones and 911 ...

Post by Tom »

TraCoun wrote:A few months ago I heard (don't ask me where, when or from whom, I'm too old :lol: :oops: ) that EVERY cell phone, no matter whether you have it 'with' a service provider or not, is supposed to be capable of calling 911. Not exactly relevant to this discussion, but something to think about if you have old ones laying around gathering dust ... like I do.

TraCoun
Good point. And even if not 911 at least an operator. I have collected
all of my 3 daughters old cell phones and have stuffed one in every glove
box of every vehicle just for that purpose.
We don't subscribe to cell service out here as the local company offers no
usable plans, but they do have operators. All of the national cell
companys have yet to reach us.
So in the mean time we keep the old units just in case we have a breakdown, or worse, out on our lonely highways.

An old cellphone can literally be a life saver.

Best Regards,

Tom
Way out in NW Kerr County

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Jim, this is priceless! :lol: :lol:

Chas.
Yeah...I thought I carried more rounds than that... :lol:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Good one Jim!!
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

dws1117
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dws1117 »

Funny stuff, Jim.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Cell phones and 911 ...

Post by KBCraig »

TraCoun wrote:A few months ago I heard (don't ask me where, when or from whom, I'm too old :lol: :oops: ) that EVERY cell phone, no matter whether you have it 'with' a service provider or not, is supposed to be capable of calling 911. Not exactly relevant to this discussion, but something to think about if you have old ones laying around gathering dust ... like I do.

TraCoun
That's true. Every cell phone can make two calls, even without service: connect to the service provider, or call 911.

I'm giving my old one to my mother. She doesn't want a cell phone for regular use, but wants to have it in case of emergency.

One caution: a cell phone that is turned on, but which has no service, will eat up its battery quickly by querying and searching for towers. Charge it up, turn it off, and recharge it on a weekly basis if needed.

Kevin

Alric

Post by Alric »

I'm not sure if some of the older cell phones will still work though. Cell phone technology has changed a lot recently, and will continue to change. The old analog stuff is less common :)

As for the 911 test, there is another number you can call first, a non-emergency number to inform them that you're doing a 911 call test from a phone. PBX vendors and telecommunications providers usually have this number, and obviously its different for each 911 dispatch center. I believe you could get it from your local PD if you wanted to test it.

As long as they know its just a test, they usually don't mind. They want to make sure they can get the call if the time comes for one.
CHL Timeline:
Application sent - 8/21
PIN marked sent by DPS - 9/27
PIN Received - 9/30
Plasic in Hand - 10/10

Armed and peaceful!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

People walking around with those thingies sticking in their ears really looks geeky. :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

Too many distractions in the world. We raised two sons without cell phones or pagers.

Sit at a stoplight and count all of women and men who want to be like women that have phones stuck to their ears.

Hang up and drive.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”