The value of "hands free" cell phone technology...

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

the "Blue Tooth" wireless feature
Yes, I am one of those "people walking around with a blue light blinking on their ear". It's just too easy and works too well not to use.

I have been assimilated. :shock:

http://uk.gizmodo.com/borg.jpg
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

HighVelocity wrote:
the "Blue Tooth" wireless feature
Yes, I am one of those "people walking around with a blue light blinking on their ear". It's just too easy and works too well not to use.
I am at my work place at least 9 hours a day,I spend 2 1/2 hours a day commuting. The bluetooth earpiece allows me to send some time with my wife that I wouldn't normally have. It is no more distracting than if she were riding with me as a passenger.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by KBCraig »

"Spock ears", as we call them. :grin:

I have to admit, it would be handy in a situation requiring both hands. I don't have a bluetooth phone, and would be unlikely to wear Spock ears unless I was driving. (Face it: even if you're a bluetooth user, when you see someone walking around Wal Mart talking to themself, aren't you more likely to assume they're crazy, than that they're on the phone?)

Even without hands-free, I'm hitting the emergency button, then dropping the phone in my shirt pocket. I don't need to be able to hear the 9-1-1 operator, I only need them to hear me. I'll relay all the relevant information, loudly: who (me), where, what, why; and please send police, this person is attacking me!

Kevin

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Liberty wrote:I spend 2 1/2 hours a day commuting. The bluetooth earpiece allows me to send some time with my wife that I wouldn't normally have. It is no more distracting than if she were riding with me as a passenger.
The credible studies indicate that cell phone usage and car safety don't vary based on hands-free versus holding a phone. It's not the phone that's distracting, it's the conversation. Similar results are found when drivers are in conversation with passengers (especially with teenage drivers and passengers).

Eating and fiddling with the stereo are even more dangerous.

I'm about to start parent-taught driver's ed with my 16 year old daughter. We'll be using the family van. The stereo has a detachable faceplate. Before she's ever turned loose to drive on her own, the faceplate will be in my desk drawer. ;-)

Kevin

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have stopped using mine. It has happened twice that my phone called the person I was talking about with another preacher (Gossip :oops: ),

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

KBCraig wrote:Bluetooth is cool technology, but don't forget to double-check your security settings.

Here is a good explanation why: http://trifinite.org/trifinite_stuff_carwhisperer.html

Kevin
Kevin is quite right. Bluetooth is a great technology but it is pretty much the LEAST SECURE method of networking in use today.

ALWAYS ASSUME THAT >>ANYONE<< CAN ACCESS ANY INFORMATION STORED ON A BLUETOOTH ENABLED DEVICE.

If it's your cell phone and you don't care who has access to the data in your phone then you're ok and it's a great use of the technology.

However, if you have bluetooth enabled on your laptop or pda be aware that through numerous holes in the technology just about anyone who knows their business can suck any information they want off those devices. That includes any bank, password, photos, personal files, etc.

If you have bluetooth on one of those devices either turn it off or at the very least configure it so that you are not visible to other devices.

Bluetooth is great so long as it's not a bluetooth device with your personal information.

References:
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/ ... 01,00.html

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5197200.html

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1830

plenty more out there if you google around for it. just be careful.

RKirby

Post by RKirby »

anygunanywhere wrote:Sit at a stoplight and count all of women and men who want to be like women that have phones stuck to their ears.

Hang up and drive.
:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

:iagree:
"Superior firepower is an invaluable tool when entering into negotiations." - G. Patton

Roy D. Mercer

Post by Roy D. Mercer »

I'm just happy if I can find a payphone to call my wife and tell her the good news!
How big a boy are you!

.45 is the only way to fly!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

KBCraig wrote: I'm about to start parent-taught driver's ed with my 16 year old daughter. We'll be using the family van. The stereo has a detachable faceplate. Before she's ever turned loose to drive on her own, the faceplate will be in my desk drawer. ;-)

Kevin
Kevin, I really enjoyed our visit Sat. I know you had a tough trip from top to bottom & back.
Yes I also think your daughter is one good young lady. Give her my encouragement on the Drivers Ed. I
LT.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

longtooth wrote:
KBCraig wrote: I'm about to start parent-taught driver's ed with my 16 year old daughter. We'll be using the family van. The stereo has a detachable faceplate. Before she's ever turned loose to drive on her own, the faceplate will be in my desk drawer. ;-)

Kevin
Kevin, I really enjoyed our visit Sat. I know you had a tough trip from top to bottom & back.
Yes I also think your daughter is one good young lady. Give her my encouragement on the Drivers Ed. I
LT.
Thanks for the opportunity to get out and stretch my legs and enjoy some good company. It was almost exactly 12 hours from the time I left home until we got back.

And the next day I had a six hour round trip, picking up my sons from their mom's house.

Texarkana to Houston and back in one day is rough, especially when followed by a round trip to Pine Bluff. But having the kids here is totally worth it. And on the 19th, our oldest son will be home on leave from the Army, and we'll have all five of them together for the first time since Christmas 2005. :grin:

jhutto

Post by jhutto »

I can drive and talk on the phone. I know lots of people who can't.

Hoppes

Re: Cell phones and 911 ...

Post by Hoppes »

Tom wrote:Good point. And even if not 911 at least an operator. I have collected all of my 3 daughters old cell phones and have stuffed one in every glove box of every vehicle just for that purpose. We don't subscribe to cell service out here as the local company offers no usable plans, but they do have operators. All of the national cell
companys have yet to reach us. So in the mean time we keep the old units just in case we have a breakdown, or worse, out on our lonely highways. An old cellphone can literally be a life saver.

Best Regards,

Tom
Way out in NW Kerr County
Hi Tom,

Are there any cell phone towers around Kerr County? When we travel out to Fort Davis and north, we can never get a good signal on our phones. But there is an upside to that too. That means peace and quiet.

Hoppes
---
The best test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. - Eric Hoffer
---

glock75

Post by glock75 »

(i.e.: both hands free to maintain good control over the weapon, and not have to fumble and take too much attention off the situation at hand...etc etc)

The one thing I am not sure of, and will have to ask around about is if I can voice dial 911 from the earpiece (with of course the obligatory touch of the activation switch, one time)...

I don't have 911 put in my directory, and wonder if that number is embedded in the phones memory anyway???
Yes, you can voice dial using the earpiece. At least you can with mine. Simply press the button on the earpiece and say "Call 911" or "Call [telephone #]". That is if you have a phone that has voice command capability. You can even do this with the phone lid closed and in the belt holster.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”