Calling all MAC experts!

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Calling all MAC experts!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I don't know squat about MAC computers and I need some help. One of our instructors is having trouble printing CHL-100s and CHL-8 from their Excel spreadsheet. It has worked fine until today so something has happened within his computer. (He's using Microsoft Office for MAC.) Regardless of the margins set or the print area defined, he cannot print the entire CHL-100. It cuts off about 20% of the right side of the page leaving a large white area. It also cuts off the last two rows. Again, this just happened and both the prior CHL-100 form and the revised form are experiencing the same problem.

He's experiencing a different problem with the CHL-8. The entire form prints, but it's compressed toward the upper left side of the page. This too is a new problem with both the new and former Excel spreadsheets.

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Thanks,
Chas.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Calling all MAC experts!

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Not a fix, but a work around, have you tried saving or printing to a PDF file, then printing the PDF that's created? If that works, then the problem is with Excel. If you still have the issue, then it's with the printer somewhere. That will help to troubleshoot.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Charles,

To resolve the CHL-100 problem, on the print preview, try select Scaling - fit to 1 page wide and 1 page high.

I have never seen the second issue.

Hope this helps.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

What brand printer, OS version, etc?

BTW, I know new Brother printer drivers came out as an upgrade in the last few days. I have seen a few instances of print settings changing with upgrades so that could be one possibility. Rare, but it does happen.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Waco1959 wrote:What brand printer, OS version, etc?

BTW, I know new Brother printer drivers came out as an upgrade in the last few days. I have seen a few instances of print settings changing with upgrades so that could be one possibility. Rare, but it does happen.
I don't know but I'll find out. It's interesting that he can email the spreadsheet to me and everything prints fine. :headscratch

Chas.

loktite

Post by loktite »

TexasJohnBoy has a great suggestion with the pdf printing. As a temporary workaround, someone else could print the spreadsheet to pdf, and then e-mail that pdf back to him.
NRA Endowment Member

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

1. The papersize definition and the print area definition in the printer settings comes to my mind. That is the setting in the spreadsheet / property settings.
2. De install the MS packages, rebppt and reinstall.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

rentz

Post by rentz »

Like was suggested above, it's likely a printer driver setting or excell perhaps an update installed in the background best thing is the pdf suggestion and wiping out ms office and reinstalling

While the new office for Mac works 90% of the time perfectly it's still not really a Mac app

Also they could try open office for free as an alternative to try something else

mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

anygunanywhere wrote:Charles,

To resolve the CHL-100 problem, on the print preview, try select Scaling - fit to 1 page wide and 1 page high.
I would have to second anygunanywhere Charles. On my Excel in MAC, the scaling box is available on the print screen. I would have thought that would also address the CHL-8 problem also. If not, perhaps the print area is set too large. But I would still expect scaling to 1 page by 1 page to solve it. If they had to keep tinkering with it, my next attempt would be selecting only 1 page tall and then only 1 page wide to see if either would trick it into working.
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

When I bought my mac, I had simmelier issues with office. I had to go and down load the printer drivers for mac so office would work. Only office programs were affected. The printer is apple compatible with out drivers for air print.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Here's an update. He has two MAC's one desktop and one laptop. The desktop is the one with the problem and the best he can do is get the form to print on 2/3 of the page. It's the full form, but covering only part of the page. His laptop does much better, with only 1/2" gap at the bottom.

It's something to do with scaling, but we're both at a loss as to why. At least it works now.

Thanks for the input folks.
Chas.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”