If You Need Technical Help

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Hoppes
Posts in topic: 3

If You Need Technical Help

Post by Hoppes » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:45 pm

I'll be glad to help anyone with technical issues related to this board. I have 25 years of technology management experience to back me up. I've worked in about every industry and organizational philosophy and I know hardware, software, project management (certified PMP), ITIL (certified ITIL Manager), programming (Certified PERL programmer) and I have a bunch of additional certifications and skills. Just give me a day or so to answer you.

One of my most memorable experiences is migrating a foreign country's military from a manual supply system to an automated one while supporting the U.S. AF. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot too.

Hoppes
Chief Information Officer
---
The best test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. - Eric Hoffer
---

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Compadre! Who did your ITIL training?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
Hoppes

Post by Hoppes » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:10 pm

Skiprr wrote:Compadre! Who did your ITIL training?
It was done by one of the original Brits who has been with ITIL and OGC for the last thirty years.

Hoppes
---
The best test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. - Eric Hoffer
---

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:43 am

Hoppes wrote:
It was done by one of the original Brits who has been with ITIL and OGC for the last thirty years.
Just trying to be friendly. If you'd said McFarlane, Johnson, Clayton, Nance, Fry, Wheeldon, Dibble, Stewart, et al, I'd have known who you were talking about. But if they're still with the OGC, that rules out almost all of 'em.

And just a clarification that ITIL is about 20 years old, not 30 (and the CCTA, where ITIL originated, was absorbed by the OGC in 2000). ITIL's first conceptual birth was after John Stewart was assigned the task in 1986 of designing an IT "infrastructure management method." The tales about the influence of the Falkland War are false. :grin:

This really has nothing to do with your Topic about technical assistance, so I'll go dark now...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
Hoppes

Post by Hoppes » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:13 am

Skiprr wrote:
Hoppes wrote:
Just trying to be friendly. If you'd said McFarlane, Johnson, Clayton, Nance, Fry, Wheeldon, Dibble, Stewart, et al, I'd have known who you were talking about. But if they're still with the OGC, that rules out almost all of 'em.

And just a clarification that ITIL is about 20 years old, not 30 (and the CCTA, where ITIL originated, was absorbed by the OGC in 2000). ITIL's first conceptual birth was after John Stewart was assigned the task in 1986 of designing an IT "infrastructure management method." The tales about the influence of the Falkland War are false. :grin:

This really has nothing to do with your Topic about technical assistance, so I'll go dark now...
Howdy Skippr,

The United Kingdom's Central Computer and Telecommunications Agency in Norwich, which at different times has been an agency of HM Treasury and the Cabinet Office, created the Government IT Infrastructure Management Method in the mid-1980s. Before that date as far back as the old mainframe days, there has been best practice groups working on the creation of what we know as the modern day ITIL standards.

We were working on best practices as far back as I can remember. In 1975 (32 years ago), I was involved with IT best practices here in Texas in the Control Data Corporation building at 2000 West Loop South, in Houston. This was all mainframe related like the CDC Cyber 70 and the CDC 6600 Mainframe, created I think in 1964.

I agree with you that ITIL formally started around 1986. But the early stages were going on long before that and in a myriad of ways.

I didn't offer further information when you asked because I don't believe that support for ITIL would be needed on this board. There is no need for you to go dark. You know what, I may have been thinking about PMI. They were started in 1971. That's a bit more than 30 years. I get so busy around here that sometimes I lose my thought to another.

What sort of work do you do Skiprr?

Hoppes
---
---

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BrassMonkey » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:16 am

I am finishing Service Manager V3 now.
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”