New pop-unders

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

New pop-unders

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I hate pop-unders!!! I've noticed several websites now that have a new type of pop-under. Until this new development, I could put my cursor on the pop-under and get a thumbnail of it. I'd click on the "X" to delete it, without having to bring it up to full size.

This isn't possible with the new ones. Unless you click on them to bring them up, you cannot get to the "X" to delete it. When your cursor gets close to the "X" the pop-under reduces.

Unfortunately, pop-unders seem to be on conservative websites more than others. I now have a new personal policy; I don't go to any site that uses pop-unders of any type. Congratulations guys, you lost a reader and I hope that grows to millions of readers.

Chas.

mojo84

Re: New pop-unders

Post by mojo84 »

There are quite a few conservative oriented sites I've stopped reading because of this and the number of ads and autoplay vidoes. It drives me crazy. The Washington Times is just an example of one.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Dave09
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dave09 »

If you do not want to view these try adblock. Its a extension/addon for chrome and firefox. Unfortunately the addon does end up hurting the site because it blocks all ads therefore no ad revenue from your browsing.

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

and some sites now detect adblock and make you turn it off to see the content (Forbes)
You may have the last word.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Dave09 wrote:If you do not want to view these try adblock. Its a extension/addon for chrome and firefox. Unfortunately the addon does end up hurting the site because it blocks all ads therefore no ad revenue from your browsing.
I'm also using Adblock Plus and it has eliminated the problem.
SA_Steve wrote:and some sites now detect adblock and make you turn it off to see the content (Forbes)
Those are the sites I avoid. Two can play that game.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I had to go and Google Pop-under. Evidently I must be doing something right. Don't recall every seeing one.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

mojo84 wrote:There are quite a few conservative oriented sites I've stopped reading because of this and the number of ads and autoplay vidoes. It drives me crazy. The Washington Times is just an example of one.
:iagree:

It's frustrating, especially since I'm on the go quite a bit, so mobile is what I use the most.

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

I've also got a chrome extension that defeats the Forbes adblock detector.

Not found one for Wired Magazine yet.

Quite a battle going on to make you watch ads. At least I can still record cable shows and FF through the ads.
You may have the last word.

tlt

Post by tlt »

I checked out forbes, sure enough... now I like that!! An honest dishonest advertiser. The adblocker that now comes standard in Mozilla seems to be doing well.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

SA_Steve wrote:I've also got a chrome extension that defeats the Forbes adblock detector.

Not found one for Wired Magazine yet.

Quite a battle going on to make you watch ads. At least I can still record cable shows and FF through the ads.
In a related matter my new DVR TiVo Bolt about 80 percent of the programs I record now have ad skip available. When the program you are watching is going to commercial you hit 1 button and blamo you are watching the next segment. You skip all commercials with 1 button press. I love it. The only problem is you can't watch the show live because they upload the commercial start stop points about 10 minutes after the program finishes. Not much of a problem for me because I don't watch anything live anymore....
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

android

Post by android »

Autoplay ads are the only thing more evil than Hillary Clinton!!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I haven't experienced this yet. I don't supposed there is any way to know if a site has these pop under things before visiting or when first visiting, is there?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, and Disconnect are my Adblock/Privacy trifecta.
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

gdnewcomer

Post by gdnewcomer »

You can also install adblock plus on your phone at least Iphones for Safari for sure. Saving my data plan from all those auto plays and such. (c;

gdnewcomer

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”