Microsoft Hijacking

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Microsoft Hijacking

Post by baseballguy2001 »

I have a solution -- not intended to become a flame war, just my solution for over 20 years. No pop ups, no malware, and for those of you already using an iPhone, a much better experience with your chosen device.

MacBook Air 13" i5 1.7G Tblt+USB 3.0
4GB Ram / 120GB SSDWiFi; Used, Good Cond.

Add to Cart
Only $599.00
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

katmandu

Post by katmandu »

Just saw this:

Windows 7 users complain of unprovoked Windows 10 auto-upgrades

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3043464/ ... rades.html

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KC5AV »

bigity wrote:Not sure how that happens - every test I've seen shows a performance increase across the board. What kind of things are we talking about here?
When I upgraded from Win7, it took over 2 minutes for the list of available wireless networks to populate. It took over 2 minutes to open Windows Explorer.
At that point, I just removed the upgrade.
NRA lifetime member

bigity
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bigity »

Maybe the drivers weren't quite there yet. Hope you have better luck with it next time :)
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KC5AV »

I'm sure I will. I'm just not in a real big hurry. My days of being an early adopter are long gone.
NRA lifetime member

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jrs_diesel »

B23Msports wrote:Do not install Windows Upadate 3035583 - that is the update that is for the upgrade to Win 10. You can hide the update if it is showing in your either optional or recommeded updates. If it has already made its way that it has been installed you need to go to "View Installed Updates" and remove it. I have seen it come back even if hidden, so you will have to watch for it. I suggest setting your updates to the setting that allows you to review and choose the ones you wish to install.

Do a search on "Windows Update 3035583" and you can find out alot more information.

Also let me add that a good friend who is more up on this than me is saying that MS is trying to sneak it back out with a different update number. Not sure on it though.

Hope this helps.
There are a few more (3 or 4 total) updates that have to be un-installed and then hidden/disabled. I have them written down at home and can post them later.
J.R.

brhalltx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by brhalltx »

KB2952664
KB2976978
KB3035583
KB3139929 / KB3146449

The last is an Internet Explorer "security update" that then installs KB3146449.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

bigity wrote:Or just upgrade to 10, which is really far superior - granted, there are a few things you may want to disable.

:D
i have dual TV tuner cards and an FM radio tuner card in most all my computers to "DVR pre-selected/scheduled TV shows I record (Like a VCR used to be used)

Windows 8 had to be upgraded at additional cost to the "Professional Windows 8, then at another additional cost, to add back in Windows Media Center.

Windows 10 did not include Windows Media Center so all my computers became useless paperweights, so I reverted them within the 30 days to a version of Windows which let me use the computers again for their intended purpose.

Windows 10 will let you add a program to play DVDs or CDs or something as a consolation prize to making the computers useless to record Satellite/Cable/Over the air TV programs and use the FM radio tuner.... whoopee

yeah, there's other aftermarket add-on programs that are not quite as good as Windows Media Center, and the associate Program Guide Info a person can pay money for to get substandard results ...

Microsoft wanted me to go out and buy an Xbox to use the Windows Media Center and associated Program Guide they removed from Windows 10 ... See how that works? Xbox now has the Media Center and buying it gets the functionality I enjoyed in XP/7/8 media center

When the time comes and I absolutely must switch to something else, I already have Linux Distros ;)

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

get ready, there is a rumor MS will go Linux with the next release!
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

That will turn it into a Mac (is that what they call them these days?)
You may have the last word.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

SA_Steve wrote:That will turn it into a Mac (is that what they call them these days?)
I guess its still a Mac but I heard MS will replace the 2 GB of code they currently call Win10 with true Linux but of course a' la MS. I have not heard of a host OS and Win X.x on top as a guest OS. We'll have to wai and see.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”