Dongle Question

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
stash
Posts in topic: 4

Dongle Question

Post by stash »

Yesterday my wireless mouse stopped working. I have a spare wired mouse which I plugged into the USB port on the side of the computer and it works fine with the wireless keyboard and the dongle plugged into the USB port in the back of the computer. My question is, with the configuration I just described, if I remove the dongle will the wireless keyboard still work? If it does not work I will just get a wired keyboard and be done with the wireless stuff including the dongle. Thanks for the help.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Dongle Question

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

No, it sounds like you will need the dongle. Were the mouse and keyboard bought together as a kit? If so, the USB dongle communicates with both the wireless keyboard and mouse.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
stash

Post by stash »

Thanks for the quick reply JohnBoy. I was not sure but I thought that might be the case. The mouse and keyboard came with the new computer (Lenovo)
that I got about six months ago. Since I got the new computer I have read that these wireless devices do have their problems. Lenovo sent me (received yesterday) a new wireless mouse and keyboard but I am going to go wired.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Personally, unless there's a need, I always go wired. I've got a wireless keyboard and mouse at work that are great, because I have a sit/stand convertible desk.

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/e ... /l5v-00001
Ive seen this for sale for about $80. I spend all day at the computer and the ergonomics of this set are great for me at work.

But like I said, at home where I only sit, it's a cheap $15 wired keyboard and mouse.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

I hate to ask a stupid question but did you check the mouse battery? Also, most wireless mice have an on/off switch. Were you able to previously see a light from the mouse that is no longer there? I personally hate a wired unit but that's me.

Topic author
stash

Post by stash »

rotor wrote:I hate to ask a stupid question but did you check the mouse battery? Also, most wireless mice have an on/off switch. Were you able to previously see a light from the mouse that is no longer there? I personally hate a wired unit but that's me.
Not stupid at all. This has happened to me 3 times in 6 months or so. I knew there was a problem when I did not have a cursor. On all three occasions I would change the battery before calling Lenovo. On the first two occasions Lenovo spent about 20 minutes on the phone having me do all kinds of stuff and somehow I got the cursor back. Last Sat. when I could not get the cursor they said it might be a soft ware problem but they would sent me a new cursor and key board. The first two times I had the problem they would ask if could see the light on the bottom of the cursor. I did not know there was suppose to be a light and told them so but they said nothing about the absence of same. And I always I checked to ensure on/off switch was in the right position. I guess this is why I am turned off to wireless, but it is nice to not have the cords all over the place collecting dust.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm sold on the Logitech keyboard & mouse combos with what they call their "unifying" dongle.

The ones I have have been just about bulletproof. I need to replace my mouse, but that's because I've worn it out. Four years of heavy use is a pretty good run!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
stash

Post by stash »

Pawpaw wrote:I'm sold on the Logitech keyboard & mouse combos with what they call their "unifying" dongle.

The ones I have have been just about bulletproof. I need to replace my mouse, but that's because I've worn it out. Four years of heavy use is a pretty good run!

I just bought a Logitech keyboard and mouse but they are wired.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Pawpaw wrote:I'm sold on the Logitech keyboard & mouse combos with what they call their "unifying" dongle.

:iagree: I have used them for a long time. The batteries last long too.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”