Replacement for Windows Home Server

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Replacement for Windows Home Server

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have been running Windows Home Server SP2 for several years. It's running on an old HP Pentium 2.4 GHz desktop computer. It's my understanding that Microsoft no longer offers Home Server and I want to plan for the day when my current system is no longer workable. It's currently used to backup all of our computers and to host some larger common files such as images. However, I also have a DropBox account that has even more files than the Home Server.

What is the standard for this application in a home environment, now that Home Server isn't available? I'm going to load Ubuntu onto an old HP laptop that is currently unusable and it will be used solely to run Skype for podcast interviews. I know Ubuntu also has server software, but since I don't know squat about Linux, I'm very reluctant to go that route.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Replacement for Windows Home Server

Post by mojo84 »

A lot off people are going to a NAS system. I think that is what I am about to do for my home and business data storage needs.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Windows 10 Enterprise with NAS storage system attached.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I use a Western Digital MyCloud at home. There are software packages out there that can turn an old computer into a NAS though, like FreeNAS. But thy may require a bit of technical expertise. I haven't used FreeNAS in some time, but it was good when I did use it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

OK, I'll be the first to say it.....

Contact Hillary, she's an expert at home servers. :biggrinjester:
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I use a Western Digital MyCloud at home. There are software packages out there that can turn an old computer into a NAS though, like FreeNAS. But thy may require a bit of technical expertise. I haven't used FreeNAS in some time, but it was good when I did use it.
I use the WD MyCloud as well but though about going with the FreeNAS route initially, but since I didn't have a computer to spare at the time I went with the MyCloud even though it was a higher cost. Just built a new computer and I'll be playing around with FreeNas on the old one.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

canvasbck wrote:OK, I'll be the first to say it.....

"rlol"
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

zmcgooga

Post by zmcgooga »

Are you just looking to store files/data or were there other functions you were looking for?

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

If you have files that you want backed up, and don't want them out there in public on somebody else's server (AKA "The Cloud"), one option you should look at is an NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. Check out a company called QNAP. I've been running one for years as an offsite backup for business files. You can't run software on it, just big cheap storage.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

canvasbck wrote:OK, I'll be the first to say it.....

That's right and Wikileaks provides free backups over the internet. Guaranteed no data loss :mrgreen:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

QNAP & Synology are the two largest NAS vendors. I use QNAP extensively for work; be aware that one typically buys the inclosure, sans drives, and then pick the make/model/size drives you like and add those. Don't cheap out and buy desktop hard drives! They need to be at least 'NAS' grade drives, but preferably enterprise if you can stomach the higher price tag.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Whats your budget?

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Depending on what your budget and needs are anything is possible. Do you want to simply provide a file storage/backup solution? If that is the case you can use a properly configured windows 10 machine for the task, or any one of several linux/BSD/MacOS systems. You can use a purely hardware solution as well.

Ubuntu's best aspect is it's ease of use, but depending on what you really want other solutions might be better.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It appears a NAS will be work fine.

Thanks guys,
Chas.

Turboblaster

Post by Turboblaster »

RHenriksen wrote:QNAP & Synology are the two largest NAS vendors. I use QNAP extensively for work; be aware that one typically buys the inclosure, sans drives, and then pick the make/model/size drives you like and add those. Don't cheap out and buy desktop hard drives! They need to be at least 'NAS' grade drives, but preferably enterprise if you can stomach the higher price tag.
+1 on the Synology Diskstation NAS solution, they work very good and have interface apps for Dropbox/Google Drive etc, Cloud backup. Just amazing!

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”