EQUIFAX hacked

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 12

Re: EQUIFAX hacked

Post by bmwrdr »

bblhd672 wrote:It just gets better for Equifax. The company's officer in charge of data security was a music major and had no experience in data security. There is an effort underway to scrub her from the internet.

https://www-marketwatch-com.cdn.ampproj ... FD35AE15F2
That figures completely. Besides asking about educational qualifications congress should ask for a list of internal users with access privilege, nationality, citizenship status and clearance level dating back 10 years. That would allow the FBI to get a better understanding of Equifax's security procedures. If they can't produce this basic piece of information which BTW is required by law I'd suggest to jail all upper management, confiscate and freeze their private assets as well as the company qassets.
This is corruption 101 and should be at the top of Trumps swamp-list! It is a matter of national security to find all details about this debacle.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

It started with negligence on the technical side amd nobody knows if or where it goes.
At this point it seems like the leader responsible for the flaw at leaving the sinking boat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 61d633c44e

According to the article, if true, they had several security holes in terms of unpatched system. Logical thinking leads to a different conclusion, they had not patched systems and therefore they had no control or a working security model in place.
We'll see how the syory continues but I wouldn' be surprised if Wiki leaks has a "backup" of the Equifax database.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 6

Post by bblhd672 »

Russell wrote:Continues to get even better! Equifax's twitter has been directing people to a fake website to check if they are affected or not for 2 weeks: https://gizmodo.com/equifax-has-been-se ... 1818588764

I will be extremely surprised if Equifax survives this. Here's to hoping they don't!
Jail time and massive fines for a lot of current and now former Equifax executives would be a good start to deterring other companies who put profits before the security of citizens' personal data. Perhaps a few public executions of top executives if further persuasion is necessary.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

bblhd672 wrote:
Russell wrote:Continues to get even better! Equifax's twitter has been directing people to a fake website to check if they are affected or not for 2 weeks: https://gizmodo.com/equifax-has-been-se ... 1818588764

I will be extremely surprised if Equifax survives this. Here's to hoping they don't!
Jail time and massive fines for a lot of current and now former Equifax executives would be a good start to deterring other companies who put profits before the security of citizens' personal data. Perhaps a few public executions of top executives if further persuasion is necessary.
:iagree: It would be appropriate to post a list of all Equifax managers with pictures, SSN, Address, phone number(s), credita card numbers, banking information etc. on the web.

Wikileaks revealed just one result so far. I'll keep an eye on it because it may be the most trustworthy resource to get to the bottom of the barrel.

https://search.wikileaks.org/?query=equ ... t_relevant

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ninjabread »

If they don't survive, is there anything stopping them from selling their data to the highest bidder to satisfy creditors?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

ninjabread wrote:
Russell wrote: ...

If they don't survive, is there anything stopping them from selling their data to the highest bidder to satisfy creditors?
Good point but that may already have happened! It is blamed on some individuals negligence which can be a plausible cause but on the other hand a insider job is very possible too. I think we'll never get to know any true details. The swamp is just too big.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ninjabread »

I wonder if the IT security chief had a lot of prior infosec experience or if they're related to somebody. Based on the effort Equifax is taking to scrub the internet of information, I don't think the answer is flattering to the Equifax executives and board of directors.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”