Laptop display problem

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Laptop display problem

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

uthornsfan wrote:It might work on Windows 7. Just boot up the laptop with the external monitor connected. Give it enough time to full boot, then hit Windows + P. There are multiple options Extend, Duplicate, External only. So hit the P, 1/2/3 times and see if anything happens.

FYI, if you use Outlook for your email, you don't have to export the pst. Outlook by default stores all the info in a PST unless you are connected to an exchange server, but you wouldn't be worried about your email if you had Exchange. You just need to go to where your .pst is stored, should be here

Code: Select all

C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
Thanks. If I don't have to export a pst, then just using the hard drive will be the easiest day.

Thanks,
Chas.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
uthornsfan wrote:It might work on Windows 7. Just boot up the laptop with the external monitor connected. Give it enough time to full boot, then hit Windows + P. There are multiple options Extend, Duplicate, External only. So hit the P, 1/2/3 times and see if anything happens.

FYI, if you use Outlook for your email, you don't have to export the pst. Outlook by default stores all the info in a PST unless you are connected to an exchange server, but you wouldn't be worried about your email if you had Exchange. You just need to go to where your .pst is stored, should be here

Thanks. If I don't have to export a pst, then just using the hard drive will be the easiest day.

Thanks,
Chas.
That's what I was trying to explain, its a basic file that can accessed and moved with ease.
Remove your old HD, put in enclosure. Plug into new computer, then using the new computer
Follow this process
https://www.screencast.com/t/ox7XXvSRDAX
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

E.Marquez wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Thanks,
Chas.
That's what I was trying to explain, its a basic file that can accessed and moved with ease.
Remove your old HD, put in enclosure. Plug into new computer, then using the new computer
Follow this process
https://www.screencast.com/t/ox7XXvSRDAX
Thanks for the video!

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Everything is working fine now. I was able to use the hard drive as an external drive to copy the pst file to the new computer. I then imported it into the active profile on the new laptop. This way I got everything back without losing the few hundred emails I received on the new laptop.

I then put the hard drive back into the laptop with the damaged LCD screen, hooked my TV up as an external monitor and it booted to the TV fine. Unplugging the damaged LCD screen did result in the laptop booting to the external monitor. I've wanted a computer tied to the TV, so this works fine.

Thanks for the input guys.
Chas.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”