Laptop display problem

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Laptop display problem

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

My laptop display is toast. Actually, the plug for the monitor is damaged, so I can't install a new internal monitor. Most of my files and data are on DropBox, so that's not a problem. However, it's been too long since I exported a pst file, so I've lost a lot of emails and contacts. I tried connecting to an external monitor, but without an internal monitor, I can't navigate to it.

Is there a way for me to get an external monitor to work so I can export a pst file? I've bought a new laptop, so even a temporary fix will be fine. I can remove the harddrive, but I don't see how that would help get Outlook emails and contacts.

Thanks,
Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Laptop display problem

I found a YouTube video shows merely unplugging the laptop LTC screen, then boot the laptop. It will send the video to the external monitor. I'll try that.

Chas.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Charles, You can put the hard drive in an external enclosure and still recover the data. I have had to do that with one of my old laptops (lost motherboard due to power surge).

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 1892e2aacc
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

i was gonna say what Flightmare said. take the hard drive out of th elap top and mount it in a PC or a different laptop and all your data will be there.
NRA Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I’m assuming that your laptop screen died but you can connect an external monitor. On most laptops you can toggle to an external display, on Dell it’s the FN key plus F8. The function key should have a symbol with a screen and you use that to toggle from the laptop screen to an external monitor.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

mrvmax wrote:I’m assuming that your laptop screen died but you can connect an external monitor. On most laptops you can toggle to an external display, on Dell it’s the FN key plus F8. The function key should have a symbol with a screen and you use that to toggle from the laptop screen to an external monitor.
:iagree:
As long as your video card is still working you should be able to switch to external monitor with the correct function key sequence.

If not, then what Flightmare said is the way to go.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

bblhd672 wrote:
mrvmax wrote:I’m assuming that your laptop screen died but you can connect an external monitor. On most laptops you can toggle to an external display, on Dell it’s the FN key plus F8. The function key should have a symbol with a screen and you use that to toggle from the laptop screen to an external monitor.
:iagree:
As long as your video card is still working you should be able to switch to external monitor with the correct function key sequence.

If not, then what Flightmare said is the way to go.
I tried to do that, but it doesn't work. On my HP, I have to log in with a password, then when I attach an HDMI cable, it usually (80%) requires me to push F4 and select "duplicate screen" or "extend." Until I do that, the external monitor won't work. Selection is by mouse only and I can't do that without the internal monitor.

I'll try unplugging the internal monitor and booting with an external monitor attached.

Thanks guys,
Chas.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:My laptop display is toast. Actually, the plug for the monitor is damaged, so I can't install a new internal monitor. Most of my files and data are on DropBox, so that's not a problem. However, it's been too long since I exported a pst file, so I've lost a lot of emails and contacts. I tried connecting to an external monitor, but without an internal monitor, I can't navigate to it.

Is there a way for me to get an external monitor to work so I can export a pst file? I've bought a new laptop, so even a temporary fix will be fine. I can remove the harddrive, but I don't see how that would help get Outlook emails and contacts.

Thanks,
Chas.
Or just pull the hard drive, install in a external hard drive box, and you now have a plug and play USB hard drive you can access on any computer as you would any USB drive.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZC303G/re ... 2525347315

I do this with all my old lap top HD's, as portable external HD use, and its also done when its time for a new lap top.. Try as I might, I always seem to miss a file or pic, folder, or something that was not stored in a location on the drive I copied to the new laptop.. Having the old HD in a enclosure for a few months allows me to access it anytime needed and retrieve the forgotten file. A external hard drive enclosure is under $20 and if you were able to reach the lap top monitor plug, you have the skills and tools to remove the hard drive and slid it in a plastic box with a interface plug.

Erik

EDIT
but I don't see how that would help get Outlook emails and contacts.
the .pst file is not hidden in the program. A simply search of the HD after you install it in a box and plug it in will find your .pst file. At that point, using outlook, import and add the "old" pst file to the new outlook.
Just did that exact thing last week after I had a corrupted MS Outlook profile and pst file. Recovery program fixed the pst file so it was useable.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I have an hp I use with a dock. If the screen is closed it will automatically go to the external monitors. So if computer still works to the point it knows the screen is closed you could try that. But you are also going to need an external keyboard and mouse.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I had a similar thing happen to me, years ago. I was out of state on a job when my work laptop screen died. I borrowed a desktop monitor until the company could ship me a temporary replacement.

Luckily, the display hadn't actually "died", but the backlighting had. I was able to shine a flashlight, at an angle, and see just enough to work the mouse and activate the monitor.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Dave09

Post by Dave09 »

Charles,

If you need any help with disconnecting the internal display or removing the hard drive to install in a external enclosure let me know. It is not a difficult procedure but if your not tech savy it may be. I work on laptops for a living so just PM me if you need help.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Dave09 wrote:Charles,

If you need any help with disconnecting the internal display or removing the hard drive to install in a external enclosure let me know. It is not a difficult procedure but if your not tech savy it may be. I work on laptops for a living so just PM me if you need help.
Thanks for the offer, but I've had to remove and replace the connector before when the LCD screen started flickering.

Chas.

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

If it is a Windows 10 machine hit the Windows + P keys to extend to the external monitor.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

uthornsfan wrote:If it is a Windows 10 machine hit the Windows + P keys to extend to the external monitor.
It's Windows 7. I'm going to keep the hard drive and put it in a case, but I hope to be able to boot to an external monitor so I can export a .pst backup.

Chas.

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

It might work on Windows 7. Just boot up the laptop with the external monitor connected. Give it enough time to full boot, then hit Windows + P. There are multiple options Extend, Duplicate, External only. So hit the P, 1/2/3 times and see if anything happens.

FYI, if you use Outlook for your email, you don't have to export the pst. Outlook by default stores all the info in a PST unless you are connected to an exchange server, but you wouldn't be worried about your email if you had Exchange. You just need to go to where your .pst is stored, should be here

Code: Select all

C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”