"Off Limits" locations for CHL's

DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN THIS SECTION! Post CHL related questions in the General CHL Discussion subforum. This is a resource subforum for people to check before submitting their CHL Application. Also, RECIPROCITY MAP!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Off Limits" locations for CHL's

Post by RogueUSMC »

There is an app with user generated database. It's called "Posted!"...it's icon is yellow/orange and has a quasi-gunbuster sign on it. it is mae by the same folks that do the "CCW" app that is a quick reference app for your CHL laws.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

Is the Amusement Park portion of the law the Six Flags law? The specificity of it reminds me of some tax law that doesn't state a specific company but only one company fits the details.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

TLE2 wrote:Is the Amusement Park portion of the law the Six Flags law? The specificity of it reminds me of some tax law that doesn't state a specific company but only one company fits the details.
May have at one time. Meaningless now.
(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

snorri

Post by snorri »

TLE2 wrote:Is the Amusement Park portion of the law the Six Flags law? The specificity of it reminds me of some tax law that doesn't state a specific company but only one company fits the details.
It's old enough I think it was the Astroworld law but yes, it was as narrowly crafted as some job postings.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

The Houston Zoo is posted. I thought that it was a city-owned property so 30.06 signs were not valid there, but would appreciate some guidance.

I did try searching the Forum for "Houston Zoo", "+Houston +Zoo" and on plain "zoo" and "Zoo" - the last two came up with no hits; the searches including the word "Houston" came up with thousands and I did not see the word "zoo" in any on the first page...

Thanks in advance.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Keith B
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Keith B »

BobCat wrote:The Houston Zoo is posted. I thought that it was a city-owned property so 30.06 signs were not valid there, but would appreciate some guidance.

I did try searching the Forum for "Houston Zoo", "+Houston +Zoo" and on plain "zoo" and "Zoo" - the last two came up with no hits; the searches including the word "Houston" came up with thousands and I did not see the word "zoo" in any on the first page...

Thanks in advance.
City owned. 30.06 not valid.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

Thanks Keith!
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

jsk

Post by jsk »

RogueUSMC wrote:There is an app with user generated database. It's called "Posted!"...it's icon is yellow/orange and has a quasi-gunbuster sign on it. it is mae by the same folks that do the "CCW" app that is a quick reference app for your CHL laws.
This app is worthless, at least for Texas. I regret paying for it. It relies solely on crowd-sourced data, but since it's a pay app there aren't many users submitting data. And the entries I scanned for the Houston area seem to be primarily from users who don't understand 30.06. There are lots of entries on there about places with generic "no firearms" signs. Others have no comments or vague descriptions such as "sign by entrance", so you have no idea if it's actual 30.06 or 51% posting.

I suppose it would be better than nothing for states where any ol gun-buster sign has force of law, but for Texas you're much better off using texas3006.com (it would be nice if they published a smartphone app, though).

mrrooster2u

Post by mrrooster2u »

Is Corps of Engineer campgrounds off limits for CHL's?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mrrooster2u wrote:Is Corps of Engineer campgrounds off limits for CHL's?
Corps of Engineers land is totally off limits at this time as it is Federal. There is a move under foot to remove that restriction, similar to National Parks, but that has not come to pass yet.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

mrrooster2u wrote:Is Corps of Engineer campgrounds off limits for CHL's?
Yep. Federal restriction. Has nothing to do with Texas law.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mrrooster2u

Post by mrrooster2u »

Ok. Thanks guys.

paulnkathy

Post by paulnkathy »

I believe the Texas Penal code also says about Hospitals, that if the Hospital is a Teaching Hospital then "even if" there are "NO SIGNS" posted you cannot take a weapon inside that Hospital.
Help me here guys.
Paul

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

paulnkathy wrote:I believe the Texas Penal code also says about Hospitals, that if the Hospital is a Teaching Hospital then "even if" there are "NO SIGNS" posted you cannot take a weapon inside that Hospital.
Help me here guys.
Paul
No. Hospitals are not off-limits unless they post a 30.06 sign. Look at Texas Penal Code 46.035 section (i) http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm

As for a 'teaching' hospital, unless the hospital is part of a University, then all hospitals are 'teaching' hospitals in the fact they usually have residents and interns there doing continued learning.

Personally, I would probably enter any hospital that was not posted unless I had information to confirm it was off-limits otherwise.
Keith

brenlop

Post by brenlop »

It might be worth archiving this thread and making a new one since the laws have changed somewhat. Someone might not realize the date of the original post and be getting inaccurate information.

Return to “CHL Checklist”