$17.50 Mistake

DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN THIS SECTION! Post CHL related questions in the General CHL Discussion subforum. This is a resource subforum for people to check before submitting their CHL Application. Also, RECIPROCITY MAP!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Gpbill
Posts in topic: 1

$17.50 Mistake

Post by Gpbill »

I just renewed my CHL. I typed in "license to carry a concealed weapon" and the first entry gave me options to apply, replace, update or renew.
I didn't notice the site was "ConcealedCarryServices.org/TX-CHL"...not TxDPS. I followed all the links (which looked appropriate) entered my info and credit card and instead of being told I would be charged $35 I was charged $17.50 and could download the "packet". The packet had a renewal link that took me to The TxDPS renewal site.
All legal, just misleading to an old guy that didn't pay attention.
Be smarter than me.

Eric Lamberson

Re: $17.50 Mistake

Post by Eric Lamberson »

That's messed up. I would dispute the charge.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

It's worth disputing the charge. I hate stuff like this. I almost fell for similar deal when renewing vehicle registration in another state for the first time.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Gpbill wrote:I just renewed my CHL. I typed in "license to carry a concealed weapon" and the first entry gave me options to apply, replace, update or renew.
I didn't notice the site was "ConcealedCarryServices.org/TX-CHL"...not TxDPS. I followed all the links (which looked appropriate) entered my info and credit card and instead of being told I would be charged $35 I was charged $17.50 and could download the "packet". The packet had a renewal link that took me to The TxDPS renewal site.
All legal, just misleading to an old guy that didn't pay attention.
Be smarter than me.
DPS doesn't pay he search engines to put their website at the top of the list. :lol: I can't remember exactly what it was, but I almost fell for a similar ploy even though I had typed the name of the specific site I wanted to bring up. It had the name in the link, but then had their proprietary info after. I automatically clicked on it. Fortunately I caught it and paged back. That's when I saw how they trick you.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

:mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5 :mad5

That's criminal. Dang it, I'm sorry sir.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

yodajim

Post by yodajim »

Same With my Ham Radio License ..
Kept getting renewals in the mail for $10.00 or $12.00 dollars
then I noticed that they were all outfits to " Help "
when I went to the Gov. sight my renewal was free
I caught all of this at the last moment . :nono: :nono: :nono:

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

I would have called the bank and dispute the charge. Explain them you have been the victim of a phishing site, provide the link and other information like e-mail, phone etc. if needed. In addition you want to contact the author of the pohisching site and let them know.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

infoman

Post by infoman »

Sadly, that site has been going strong for at least 5-6 years that I know of. Someone is making easy money with that website, but it's apparently legal, as they put that their site is not affiliated with any Government entity.

Wallace Dunn

Post by Wallace Dunn »

bmwrdr wrote:I would have called the bank and dispute the charge. Explain them you have been the victim of a phishing site, provide the link and other information like e-mail, phone etc. if needed. In addition you want to contact the author of the pohisching site and let them know.

:tiphat:
If you paid with a VISA or MasterCard logo on your card you can dispute the bill. I would recommend you do that.

Return to “CHL Checklist”