background check question

DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN THIS SECTION! Post CHL related questions in the General CHL Discussion subforum. This is a resource subforum for people to check before submitting their CHL Application. Also, RECIPROCITY MAP!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Glock438715
Posts in topic: 5

background check question

Post by Glock438715 »

I submitted everything to the state on oct 10th. 7-8 yrs ago i had 2 speeding tickets that went to warrant and i was pulled over and taken in for them... A family member was there within 30 mins both times to pay fine and i was released. I did list these 2 arrests on my application. Im just worried that they'll want "paperwork" on them and it will delay my case for awhile... Does it matter about these class c misdemeanor traffic violation arrests?? Will they give me a hard time? Or is it no big deal and they will issue my license without "more paperwork"??? Thanks in advance for any clarification someone mite have :patriot:
Proud Father. Proud Husband. Proud Texan.
I couldn't be happier.... :coolgleamA:

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: background check question

Post by bmwrdr »

Speeding tickets as a class C misdemeanor do not affect the issuance of a LTC, I had a few in the past, paid my fine and that's it. I don't understand why you were arrested for that but if there was a reason you may want to clarify the details with DPS.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pariah3j »

bmwrdr wrote:Speeding tickets as a class C misdemeanor do not affect the issuance of a LTC, I had a few in the past, paid my fine and that's it. I don't understand why you were arrested for that but if there was a reason you may want to clarify the details with DPS.
Failure to appear turns into a bench warrant. Don't ask how I know that :shock:

Worst case scenario the State may require a notice of disposition for the incidents, but I'm not even sure for traffic tickets/failure to appear.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

Pariah3j wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:Speeding tickets as a class C misdemeanor do not affect the issuance of a LTC, I had a few in the past, paid my fine and that's it. I don't understand why you were arrested for that but if there was a reason you may want to clarify the details with DPS.
Failure to appear turns into a bench warrant. Don't ask how I know that :shock:

Worst case scenario the State may require a notice of disposition for the incidents, but I'm not even sure for traffic tickets/failure to appear.
Well, I'm not going to ask how you found out but one thing is for sure, if you travel frequently there is no way to stay clean of tickets. I had several out of state speeding tickets for 5 - 10 mph over the limit. I just waited until the "bill" was in my mailbox and paid.

:cheers2:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
Glock438715

Post by Glock438715 »

If you dont pay the fines or fail to appear they turn into a warrant.... And thats when i was arrested. So they are technically arrests... But i heard that the class c traffic warrent arrests dont matter... Just wandering if thats true.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

IANAL but I think you should be fine if their check shows the warrant is not active. Since you already applied there's nothing to do but wait and see if they ask for more information or send your plastic.

Try to limit yourself to checking your status online no more than once a day. :lol:
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Topic author
Glock438715

Post by Glock438715 »

ninjabread wrote:IANAL but I think you should be fine if their check shows the warrant is not active. Since you already applied there's nothing to do but wait and see if they ask for more information or send your plastic.

Try to limit yourself to checking your status online no more than once a day. :lol:
Awesome thanks! Guess I'll just have to see haha.
Ive been checking more than i care to admit...

Topic author
Glock438715

Post by Glock438715 »

lonestar144 wrote:Traffic tickets do not count against you, unless you still owe them or bench warrant is in effect. If that's all you had, then you will be approved. Only took 10 business days to get my id after all was submitted (9/16/17). Maybe you will have the same luck and have yours around the 24th.
Wow that is really quick! I really hope it does go that smoothly for me... Its just everyone i knew who had a ltc were always like you have to list all arrests and have all this paperwork on them or they will deny you... Im like really?? For a speeding ticket 8 years ago?? They just freaked me out... But you have eased my mind brother haha thanks! :coolgleamA:

Topic author
Glock438715

Post by Glock438715 »

lonestar144 wrote:
Glock438715 wrote: Wow that is really quick! I really hope it does go that smoothly for me... Its just everyone i knew who had a ltc were always like you have to list all arrests and have all this paperwork on them or they will deny you... Im like really?? For a speeding ticket 8 years ago?? They just freaked me out... But you have eased my mind brother haha thanks! :coolgleamA:
When they say report arrests and submit paperwork, that means for class B/A misdemeanors, felonies and DWI/DUI. Arrests made for traffic violations, usually resulting in unpaid tickets/ failure to appear, are not held against you on LTC. But, some class B misdemeanors could also not count against you. IE, multiple tickets for no insurance and/or driving while license invalid, will result in a class B misdemeanor. These will have no bearing on LTC background check, unless you still owe surcharges.
Ok awesome see i wish they would just say that.. Class c is ok haha... Ive tried to look up answers to question online.. Youtube... Asked everyone i knew... And finally you give me a straight answer that makes me not worry anymore.. Thanks bud!

Return to “CHL Checklist”