No 51% sign in a 51% establishment...

Links to various government agengices, resources & statutes, and non-governmental CHL-related links

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Reds45ACP
Posts in topic: 1

No 51% sign in a 51% establishment...

Post by Reds45ACP »

I'd like to notify someone about a missing 51% sign at an establishment that shows a "Red Sign" on the TABC website. TABC doesn't list improper signage as a reason for complaint so I can't go that route. Anyone know someone that works there or anything similar?

Thanks in advance.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Wes

Re: No 51% sign in a 51% establishment...

Post by Wes »

Just email or call them, it is a valid complaint as it is a violation of the tabc code/rules

complaints@tabc.state.tx.us

1-888-THE-TABC
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

You could but what's the benefit to getting rid of a defense to prosecution?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

bizarrenormality wrote:You could but what's the benefit to getting rid of a defense to prosecution?
Because it is only a defense to prosecution, not an exception. You can still be charged and taken to court and then you will have to prove you didn't know it wasn't a 51% location. Better to know it is with a 51% sign and then not carry or maybe not even go there.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

It's not my duty to post signs for businesses, or to do homework to figure out if a business should be posting. I don't see a sign, I carry.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RossA wrote:It's not my duty to post signs for businesses, or to do homework to figure out if a business should be posting. I don't see a sign, I carry.
In this case, it would be a matter of taking the ride and then beating the rap.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

LordProphet

Post by LordProphet »

Where do you guys find out if they're a 51% or not? I looked on the TABC website but that place is a mess.

rotor

Post by rotor »

LordProphet wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:58 pm Where do you guys find out if they're a 51% or not? I looked on the TABC website but that place is a mess.
There is an app. TABC mobile for iphone, probably for android as well.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Coulda fooled me.

I'm under the impression if it's a bar selling booze for immediate consumption or a parallel - you can't carry.

Or, am I being too simplistic?

Thus, I'm not bothered by no 51% sign as I pretty certain my above regarding gin mills is on the money.

Of course, it's a moot point for me as I don't go to bars.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Abraham wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:24 pm Coulda fooled me.

I'm under the impression if it's a bar selling booze for immediate consumption or a parallel - you can't carry.

Thus, I'm not bothered by no 51% sign as I pretty certain my above regarding gin mills is on the money.

Depends on what TABC considers it.
If 51% of their revenue comes from sale of alcohol for 'on premises' consumption, then it is 51% and prohibited.
But if you go to some places which may be a "Bar", they may not be 51% and thus you could technically carry legally.
Example of this: Bar Louie (Baybrook Mall location) is "Gun Sign = Blue" even though their name is "Bar" Louie.
Other Bar Louie's are "Gun Sign = Red"

Chili's, TGI Friday's are 2 other examples.
They both have a bar in them, but you can legally carry

Legal carry above means they have not also posted 3006, 3007 of course.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Abraham wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:24 pm Coulda fooled me.

I don’t think you’re being too simplistic. You’re just doing it the easy way. :cool:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

If it is clearly a bar, I would not want to try to explain to a LEO that, although I took the LTC course, I somehow don't know that carry in a bar is illegal. Even if you beat the rap, expect to get the ride.

However, no charge for transportation. :woohoo
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Keith B wrote: Mon May 20, 2013 9:35 pm
bizarrenormality wrote:You could but what's the benefit to getting rid of a defense to prosecution?
Because it is only a defense to prosecution, not an exception. You can still be charged and taken to court and then you will have to prove you didn't know it wasn't a 51% location. Better to know it is with a 51% sign and then not carry or maybe not even go there.
As are all the 46.15 non-applicability provisions like: Having LTC, being a LEO, engaged in sporting activity, traveling, etc. All of these are defenses to prosecution rather than exceptions. Defenses, exceptions, not being illegal, etc. are all just different shades of the "burden of proof" under the penal code. My contention is that it is incorrect to say that "something is illegal, but you have a defense or an exception". It's more that the prosecution has a different level of effort to prove you are guilty of something for which you have a Defense, Affirmative Defense or Exception. The act itself wasn't illegal if you had the Defense at the time you committed it.

And if you are prosecuted for something for which you had a Defense, the PROSECUTION must refute your Defense BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT as long as you bring it up. I'm still waiting for some LEO to be the test case for carrying "while being a cop"...which is only a Defense.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.2.htm
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ScottDLS wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:37 pm
Keith B wrote: Mon May 20, 2013 9:35 pm
As are all the 46.15 non-applicability provisions like: Having LTC, being a LEO, engaged in sporting activity, traveling, etc. All of these are defenses to prosecution rather than exceptions. Defenses, exceptions, not being illegal, etc. are all just different shades of the "burden of proof" under the penal code. My contention is that it is incorrect to say that "something is illegal, but you have a defense or an exception". It's more that the prosecution has a different level of effort to prove you are guilty of something for which you have a Defense, Affirmative Defense or Exception. The act itself wasn't illegal if you had the Defense at the time you committed it.

And if you are prosecuted for something for which you had a Defense, the PROSECUTION must refute your Defense BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT as long as you bring it up. I'm still waiting for some LEO to be the test case for carrying "while being a cop"...which is only a Defense.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.2.htm
I agree it shifts the burden of proof to the prosecution, but if it did not apply to vs. the defense to prosecution it would be better. If some overzealous junior prosecutor wants to push they could still drag you through court. If it is an exception then they really would have nothing to charge you with.
Keith

apostate

Post by apostate »

skeathley wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:18 pm I would not want to try to explain to a LEO that, although I took the LTC course, I somehow don't know that carry in a bar is illegal.
Having taken the class, I know a 51% establishment is required to post a specific sign. Absent such a sign, a reasonable man might believe an establishment is not off limits, rather than assuming the management are breaking the law. ;-)

Return to “Government resources & CHL-related links”