No 51% sign in a 51% establishment...

Links to various government agengices, resources & statutes, and non-governmental CHL-related links

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Re: No 51% sign in a 51% establishment...

Post by Abraham »

If one 'knows' that carrying at a bar is a 'no-no', I wouldn't. Unless you like to risk your LTC and take the ride.

I really don't need a sign.

I already know the rules with or without it.

Observing the rules is part of being grown-up.

Sidewalk lawyering about signs and/or their absence or presence is ...silly and comes with consequences.

Nor would I bother sticking my nose into the business's business.

If they fail to post a sign it's not my business to tell them they must or presume I can carry, cuz (with my bottom lip sticking out) theirs no stinkin sign. Please, you know better...

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deltaboy »

As a Minister I don't go to bars nor do I worry about the 51% law cause it of No worry to me cause I avoid those places in the first place. :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Abraham wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 am If one 'knows' that carrying at a bar is a 'no-no', I wouldn't. Unless you like to risk your LTC and take the ride.

Sidewalk lawyering about signs and/or their absence or presence is ...silly and comes with consequences.

If they fail to post a sign it's not my business to tell them they must or presume I can carry, cuz (with my bottom lip sticking out) theirs no stinkin sign. Please, you know better...
There are quite a few establishments with TABC licenses where it is not completely clear upon entering whether they receive 51% or more of their sales from alcohol. The alternative is avoid any on-premise TABC establishment while armed. This is the whole point of requirement for posting a sign. Sothat you may rapidly ascertain whether carry is legal and act accordingly.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

ScottDLS,

O.K.

When you walk into a bar that doesn't serve any food, just booze, (perhaps with a juke box complete with twangy bumpkin music), but there's no sign - would you carry?

I hope not.

If though, there's no sign and the status of the joint is ambiguous, consider finding out with a little research. It can be done in advance rather say, than choosing to hope you've guess right about whether you can carry there legally, go there carrying and bam, find out you were wrong and off we go - wheeeeee!

Yeah, spur of the moment attendance, no chance to research and you don't know the status - well no one said life is easy....

Again though, I avoid going to bars or happening booze and food joints, but that's me.

Thus, I rarely have to disarm when out and about. Post office and most hospitals yeah, everywhere else for the most part are ok with me carrying.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Abraham wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 am If one 'knows' that carrying at a bar is a 'no-no', I wouldn't. Unless you like to risk your LTC and take the ride.

:iagree:

Don't carry a handgun in a bar.

Carry a shotgun or a rifle with a 30 round magazine. That way you can sling enough lead to counteract double vision. It's the only logical explanation why it's legal for anyone (other than felons, etc) to carry a shotgun but not for LTC to carry a handgun.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

BBYC wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Don't carry a handgun in a bar.

Carry a shotgun or a rifle with a 30 round magazine. That way you can sling enough lead to counteract double vision. It's the only logical explanation why it's legal for anyone (other than felons, etc) to carry a shotgun but not for LTC to carry a handgun.
:iagree: :thumbs2:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I actaully had a scenario a while back where I thought an establishment was missing their 51% signage but it turned out they were a distillery so they technically didnt make 51% of their profits from on site consumption. niftly little loop hole I think... you can drink booze and still carry. and its pretty much the same as a bar... imo i dont see the need for 51% signs at all anyway the way the law is now. just find yourself a distillery that also serves booze for on site consumption... Besides, whats to keep Drunky McDrunkerson from going out to his car and grabbing his gun and coming back in and going on a wild tangent about how pantera is better than metallica while waving his piece around? What's to keep a sober person from doing that? A plastic sign isn't gonna make crazy people any less crazy.
NRA Member

Return to “Government resources & CHL-related links”