TSA. & CHL

Links to various government agengices, resources & statutes, and non-governmental CHL-related links

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

TSA. & CHL

Post by WTR »

My niece was checking her weapon for a flight. Somewhere during the process the counter lady lost my niece’s DL. The TSA would not accept her CHL as primary ID. However, they did accept a CC with her name on it ( that would be really hard to forge- not even a picture on it). Our great TSA at work.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TSA. & CHL

Post by flechero »

WTR wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:37 am My niece was checking her weapon for a flight. Somewhere during the process the counter lady lost my niece’s DL. The TSA would not accept her CHL as primary ID. However, they did accept a CC with her name on it ( that would be really hard to forge- not even a picture on it). Our great TSA at work.
More concerning is that they lost the DL on the counter. Without it, you can't even rent a car at your destination! I'd have a real problem with that- I guess TSA would have to pay for a car service until the new DL arrived???

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

I don't understand, why the TSA will not take LTC, as a proper ID. It even has your DL# on it. It is a photo ID, and is issued by the State. A credit card, can be picked up anywhere, and has nothing besides, a name, to verify ID. :mad5
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ELB

Post by ELB »

Jusme wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 am I don't understand, why the TSA will not take LTC, as a proper ID. It even has your DL# on it. It is a photo ID, and is issued by the State. A credit card, can be picked up anywhere, and has nothing besides, a name, to verify ID. :mad5
I believe they don't take LTCs as ID because they do not meet the Real ID requirements the feds set up. Texas DLs and ID cards do meet Real ID requirements.

If you have lost your ID:
Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You may be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... tification

Perhaps it was the combination of credit card and LTC and other information that cleared the ID hurdle.
USAF 1982-2005

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

ELB wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:54 am
Jusme wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 am I don't understand, why the TSA will not take LTC, as a proper ID. It even has your DL# on it. It is a photo ID, and is issued by the State. A credit card, can be picked up anywhere, and has nothing besides, a name, to verify ID. :mad5
I believe they don't take LTCs as ID because they do not meet the Real ID requirements the feds set up. Texas DLs and ID cards do meet Real ID requirements.

Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You may be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

Perhaps it was the combination of credit card and LTC and other information that cleared the ID hurdle.
Number 1 on their list, would make LTC compliant. It is a State ID issued by the equivalent of the motor vehicle department. The exact same department that issues, DL, or State ID. The State, recognizes it as a valid ID, and it can even be used for voting in Federal elections.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Jusme wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:01 am
ELB wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:54 am

Forgot Your ID?

Number 1 on their list, would make LTC compliant. It is a State ID issued by the equivalent of the motor vehicle department. The exact same department that issues, DL, or State ID. The State, recognizes it as a valid ID, and it can even be used for voting in Federal elections.
Stop asking the TSA to make sense. I have the TSA pre-check, which states you can leave your belt on. So first time I go through after getting the pre-check, metal detector goes off. The guy asks if I have any medical implants (I do plate, and pins), and says I'll have to get a pat down. I say "Are you sure it isn't the large steel belt buckle on my belt?". Oh no it couldn't be that. At least the guy actually knew how to do a pat down unlike the first time I got a random enhanced screening. Takes longer for them to do the stupid I'm going to touch you here spiel than to do the pat down.
NRA Benefactor Member

ELB

Post by ELB »

Jusme wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:01 am ...

The ID issued by the state motor vehicle department or equivalent still has to meet Real ID requirements. TX DL does. TX LTC does not, apparently, although you would think they would be made the same. I would guess this is because of the cost of compliance with the requirements. There are still some states whose DLs don't meet the requirement, so those can't be used as the (sole) ID either.

WASHINGTON – The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will begin posting signs at airports this week notifying travelers that beginning January 2018 it will start enforcing REAL ID requirements at airport security checkpoints, meaning that travelers seeking to use their state-issued driver’s license or identification card for boarding commercial aircraft may only use such documents if they are issued by a REAL ID compliant state or a non-compliant state with an extension.

TSA’s notification follows Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson’s announcement earlier this year of the final phase of implementation of the REAL ID Act. Effective January 22, 2018, TSA will only accept state-issued driver’s licenses or identification cards if they are issued by a REAL ID compliant state or a non-compliant state with an extension. As always, travelers may use alternate forms of identification such as a passport, military ID, or permanent resident card. A complete list of identification documents accepted at TSA checkpoints is available on tsa.gov.

The REAL ID Act, passed by Congress in 2005, establishes the minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards and prohibits federal agencies, like TSA, from accepting licenses and identification cards for certain official purposes, including boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft, from states that do not meet these minimum standards and have not received an extension for compliance from DHS.

DHS continues to work with states to encourage compliance and may grant extensions or determine compliance for additional states as warranted. TSA will update signage if and when states that are currently listed receive extensions. Learn more about REAL ID, check the status of your state’s compliance or read the frequently asked questions.
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/12/12/tsa ... nforcement
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

A further note: I think Texas didn't start issuing Real ID compliant DLs and IDs until late 2016, or maybe in 2017, can't find an exact date. So most Texans still do not have a Real ID compliant DL, just the ones who have been issued a DL since late 2016 or 2017. However, for states that meet all the requirements of the Real ID program, the TSA will continued accepting noncompliant DLs until 2020 (I believe), I assume to give everyone a chance to get their card renewed.

I would guess that Texas never intended to make the LTC Rea ID compliant, so TSA has a blanket policy of not accepting them as primary ID.
USAF 1982-2005

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

ELB wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:52 am A further note: I think Texas didn't start issuing Real ID compliant DLs and IDs until late 2016, or maybe in 2017, can't find an exact date. So most Texans still do not have a Real ID compliant DL, just the ones who have been issued a DL since late 2016 or 2017. However, for states that meet all the requirements of the Real ID program, the TSA will continued accepting noncompliant DLs until 2020 (I believe), I assume to give everyone a chance to get their card renewed.

I would guess that Texas never intended to make the LTC Rea ID compliant, so TSA has a blanket policy of not accepting them as primary ID.

I sure went through a lot more scrutiny, to get an LTC, than I did a driver's license. :headscratch

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Jusme wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:03 am
ELB wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:52 am A further note: I think Texas didn't start issuing Real ID compliant DLs and IDs until late 2016, or maybe in 2017, can't find an exact date. So most Texans still do not have a Real ID compliant DL, just the ones who have been issued a DL since late 2016 or 2017. However, for states that meet all the requirements of the Real ID program, the TSA will continued accepting noncompliant DLs until 2020 (I believe), I assume to give everyone a chance to get their card renewed.

I sure went through a lot more scrutiny, to get an LTC, than I did a driver's license. :headscratch
That is what my niece said. She told them here is my CHL which has her picture, has been vetted by the FBI and has finger prints on record. Still received a through pat down and had to produce a CC.( can’t make one of those in your spare bedroom you know).

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

"All Texas Driver License Cards and Identification Cards are currently acceptable to use for REAL ID purposes, such as getting into federal buildings and for use to board domestic flights. It is expected that all documents now issued will remain acceptable until October 1, 2020."

More info at https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense ... lIdAct.htm

Also, the TSA web site says they do not accept any weapons ID from any state.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Glad I refuse to fly since they started all this nonsense! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

WTR wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:34 am
Jusme wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:03 am

That is what my niece said. She told them here is my CHL which has her picture, has been vetted by the FBI and has finger prints on record. Still received a through pat down and had to produce a CC.( can’t make one of those in your spare bedroom you know).
The Real ID requirements are very specific and there is no doubt that Texas could make them compliant, but it may cost money to do so. The requirements to obtain a LTC are probably more strict that required by Real ID, but the certification of DL's/State ID's involves proving the procedures and details to DHS and also the documents themselves have to have certain features. On Real ID Texas DL/IDs the license has a reflective star on the right side of the front of the document "lasered" on to the lamination as best as I can tell. I'm assuming the state just didn't feel like spending the money and trouble to certify the LTC, or maybe DHS won't certify other permit types than DL or State ID.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

What if, in order to make our LTC "real ID" compliant, they have to divulge something to the feds that the state is unwilling to divulge? I would be okay with them not making it "real ID" compliant if that were the case.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Not TSA, but an airline ticket agent in Atlanta about 5 or 6 years ago. Went to the kiosk to get my boarding pass and check a bag. Agent called my name and asked to see ID to check the bag. I produced my retired military ID which I have never had refused by TSA or anyone else when requesting ID. Ticket agent looks at it and states that this is not a valid ID and he can't accept it. I ask why it is not acceptable and he states that where it says expiration date, it says indefinite which makes in unacceptable. So, it was easier to get to my LTC than my DL so I pull that out. He looks at it, reaches below the counter and apparently presses a duress button. A moment later an Atlanta police officer walks up and the agent points at me and announces "he has a gun." The police officer grabs both of my arms and pulls them behind my back and repeating multiple times "where's the gun." I keep assuring him I don't have a gun and am not even checking one. Couple more police officers arrive, TSA arrives, airline ticket supervisor arrives. After a pat down by police, they now ask what is going on. The agent shows them my LTC (it was a CHL then) and tells them that I gave him that when asked for ID. I clarified that I had given him my retired military ID and he would not accept it so my LTC was the easiest photo ID to get out. PD, TSA, and supervisor all look at military ID and shake their heads. Police officer apologizes, TSA walks away, supervisor check bag. Went on to security and show boarding pass and mil ID to TSA and walk through, no problem.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “Government resources & CHL-related links”