Did we get a win from the SCOTUS

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Did we get a win from the SCOTUS

Post by mojo84 »

I hope this guy is right and it really does reign in the government agencies, ATF, DHS, etc., that make up their own rules and regulations that go beyond legislative intent and what the actual law says. Then again, I am no legal eagle so I am not sure if he is reaching in finding his conclusions. What are your thoughts?

Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Soccerdad1995

Re: Did we get a win from the SCOTUS

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

IANAL, but what he is saying definitely makes sense to me. I was not aware of the doctrine of Chevron deference, but that clearly sounds like a bad precedent since it essentially allows the executive to interpret law (which is the job of the judiciary), and / or make new law (which is the job of the legislative).

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Sounds like a big win against what the ATF has been doing
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I think it is reaching to say it helps us in any way. There were questions of agency interpretation but SCOTUS did not mention anything about Chevron Deference in their decision. They also ruled that there was no law saying the rule could not be judicially reviewed, as the agency claimed. Personally, I thought Marbury v. Madison ended the idea that Congress could make any law not reviewable by the judiciary, but I am not a lawyer.
Steve Rothstein

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

There are more decisions coming down soon that will address regulatory overreach.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Return to “Federal”