Hearing Protection Act of 2017

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Post by Jusme »

flechero wrote:
Jusme wrote: I think even the left wing liberals, now understand how vulnerable people are,
They always have, and vulnerability is exactly what they need for a variety of positions they take.... their appeal is to people who are helpless in whatever situation fits the day.

Right, as long as it is the underlings, they need to be beholdin' to big government, but when it is them, they sing a different tune. I haven't heard, a single left wing Legislator, try to spin the events to try to push their agenda. (At least not yet) They are notorious for not letting a tragedy go without spinning it into, a "gun" issue. But this was one of the people who they groom to follow in lockstep with them, and now that one has gone off the reservation, they are left with no "spin." Not to say that the rhetoric, won't start up again within a few days, or weeks, but this is quietest, I have heard them in a long time. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

Give it a few days... they are letting the media run with it and soften opinion... did anyone see the unplugged dale hansen?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

flechero wrote:Give it a few days... they are letting the media run with it and soften opinion... did anyone see the unplugged dale hansen?

Don't watch Dale. I used to, but he has started leaning so far left, I can't see all of him on the TV screen anymore. :biggrinjester:

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

Jusme wrote: I can't see all of him on the TV screen anymore. :biggrinjester:
Awesome! :lol:

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LucasMcCain »

Jusme wrote: I haven't heard, a single left wing Legislator, try to spin the events to try to push their agenda. (At least not yet) They are notorious for not letting a tragedy go without spinning it into, a "gun" issue. But this was one of the people who they groom to follow in lockstep with them, and now that one has gone off the reservation, they are left with no "spin." Not to say that the rhetoric, won't start up again within a few days, or weeks, but this is quietest, I have heard them in a long time. JMHO
The governor spoke at a press conference less than 3 hours after the shooting stopped and talked about how there are too many guns in this country. He said we need to do something about the "93 million gun deaths a day." He said that like three times before a reporter was like "are you sure about that figure?"

I think it was NBC was showing the picture from the wikipedia page of an M4A1 carbine and claiming that was the weapon used in the shooting. They spent a while talking about how scary it looked and how many hundreds of bullets it could spray in just seconds. I even heard the words "bullet button" at some point. This was less than two hours after the shooting stopped.

Reporters asked one of the representatives who was there if the incident would affect his views on gun control. His answer was fantastic. I need to try to find it somewhere. Basically, he said that just because a few people abuse liberty, that's not a reason to take liberty away from everybody else. He hadn't even gotten to change clothes yet.

I like you, Jusme, and I hope to meet you Saturday. Don't take this in any way as me being a jerk or criticizing. Just wanted to point out a few things I saw in the coverage of the first few hours. Also, you specified legislators, and I don't think I heard any actual legislators trying to push the anti agenda.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

LucasMcCain wrote:
Jusme wrote: I haven't heard, a single left wing Legislator, try to spin the events to try to push their agenda. (At least not yet) They are notorious for not letting a tragedy go without spinning it into, a "gun" issue. But this was one of the people who they groom to follow in lockstep with them, and now that one has gone off the reservation, they are left with no "spin." Not to say that the rhetoric, won't start up again within a few days, or weeks, but this is quietest, I have heard them in a long time. JMHO
The governor spoke at a press conference less than 3 hours after the shooting stopped and talked about how there are too many guns in this country. He said we need to do something about the "93 million gun deaths a day." He said that like three times before a reporter was like "are you sure about that figure?"

I think it was NBC was showing the picture from the wikipedia page of an M4A1 carbine and claiming that was the weapon used in the shooting. They spent a while talking about how scary it looked and how many hundreds of bullets it could spray in just seconds. I even heard the words "bullet button" at some point. This was less than two hours after the shooting stopped.

Reporters asked one of the representatives who was there if the incident would affect his views on gun control. His answer was fantastic. I need to try to find it somewhere. Basically, he said that just because a few people abuse liberty, that's not a reason to take liberty away from everybody else. He hadn't even gotten to change clothes yet.

I like you, Jusme, and I hope to meet you Saturday. Don't take this in any way as me being a jerk or criticizing. Just wanted to point out a few things I saw in the coverage of the first few hours. Also, you specified legislators, and I don't think I heard any actual legislators trying to push the anti agenda.
Yeah there were some of the same idiots trying to get " out in front" of the story, but as you said, there was also some excellent coverage, of comments made by those who were there, who had a totally different thought process. I haven''t heard from any of the normal gun grabbers, especially those in Congress, who despite their leftward slant, understand, that this could have just as easily been at their practice field. The shooter was from Illinois, with some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country, he was then In DC where they have laws to "prevent" this type of thing. Screaming for more gun laws, would be ridiculous, (not that it won't happen)

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

Lynyrd wrote:
flechero wrote:
Jusme wrote: I think even the left wing liberals, now understand how vulnerable people are,
They always have, and vulnerability is exactly what they need for a variety of positions they take.... their appeal is to people who are helpless in whatever situation fits the day.
I hate to believe it, but there may be some truth to that. People who chose to be helpless may very well be afraid of those who choose to not be a helpless victim. If everyone is helpless they may just "feel" better. I hope that is not true, but........
I have heard this sentiment expressed before and I think there is some truth to it. One person pointed out that sheep are afraid of wolves but they are also afraid of the sheepdogs, which is why they respond to their control. I am not 100% sure this is true for the people who act like sheep, but it makes some sense. I think it is more a case of not understanding how someone can think so differently than them (choosing to fight back or not) and almost all people fear that which they do not understand, especially when it is different from how they understand the world to be.

My theory gives me some hope if I am right because it implies that with education, they can learn to understand and not fear us. The sheep-sheepdog theory implies it is a hopeless cause if it is right.
Steve Rothstein

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

srothstein wrote: ...

My theory gives me some hope if I am right because it implies that with education, they can learn to understand and not fear us. The sheep-sheepdog theory implies it is a hopeless cause if it is right.
The "sheepdog" theory is really more of a parable, a teaching tool. Sheep are significantly different species from dogs and wolves, which are close relatives, and in some taxonomies the same species. Well, except for little yappy dogs, I think they are closer to rats or squirrels or....

Anyway, animals are closely bound in their actions by their inherited behaviors, and while dogs are marvelous creatures, dogs are still predators and sheep are prey. Sheep are probably right to worry about whether their sheepdog (who has enough oomph or aggression to tangle with a wolf) might get confused between his genes and his few thousand years of domestication!

Humans are all the same lot, and they do get to choose to act like a sheep, a sheepdog, a wolf, or maybe a 'possum. Very recently we've had a run of civilization so successful that significant numbers of people are shielded from starvation and violence and disease and all kinds of Hobbesian wonders. There are a relatively small number of people designated to do the dirty work of raising food, chasing bad guys, and fighting lunatics on some other continent. It's easy to forget, or not even learn, that society and civilization and law and order are based on force and violence. So it's easy to look at the designated dirty-work people, especially the armed ones, as a necessary evil that must be closely watched and corralled and god help us all if anyone is willing to do his own dirty work without benefit of permission of the State! In such a society many choose, mostly unthinkingly, to be sheep and are mystified and scared of anyone who begs to differ.

People can be reeducated, but for something as deeply ingrained as "sheep-hood" it will probably take something emotionally and physically violent enough to shatter their basic conceptions. Not pleasant.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 34

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... share-act/
The effort to deregulate of silencers has reached an important milestone: The Hearing Protection Act has made it out of committee, and been incorporated as part of another larger bill. House Resolution 3668 – the Sportsmen Heritage and Recreational Enhancement (SHARE) Act – has been introduced to the House floor with a new subsection, Title XV, Hearing Protection. The new subsection provides for the change in classification of silencers from NFA items to standard firearms such as long guns, just like the HPA. Its text is reproduced at the bottom of this post.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... /3668/text

Write your reps... again...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 34

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Dead.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/03/bill-to-ea ... slaughter/
House Speaker Paul Ryan on Tuesday said Republicans have shelved a vote on NRA-backed legislation that would ease restrictions on the use of silencers in the aftermath of the massacre in Las Vegas that killed 59 people and wounded hundreds.

“That bill is not scheduled now,” the Wisconsin Republican said. “I don’t know when it’s going to be scheduled.”
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Dead.

House Speaker Paul Ryan on Tuesday said Republicans have shelved a vote on NRA-backed legislation that would ease restrictions on the use of silencers in the aftermath of the massacre in Las Vegas that killed 59 people and wounded hundreds.

“That bill is not scheduled now,” the Wisconsin Republican said. “I don’t know when it’s going to be scheduled.”
Yep and I doubt it will ever make it this far again.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 6

Post by anygunanywhere »

mrvmax wrote:

Once there is a GOP majority in the house and senate we will get some of these useless gun laws eliminated.

Oh. Never mind.

The GOP will save us.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 6

Post by bblhd672 »

:banghead: :banghead: Because every knowledgeable person in the world knows the results would have been no different if the shooter had been using suppressors.

RINO Ryan and his merry gang of D/R's.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Fake news. Was never scheduled for a vote this week anyway. At least according to this

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavl ... s-n2390255
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

anygunanywhere wrote:
mrvmax wrote:

Once there is a GOP majority in the house and senate we will get some of these useless gun laws eliminated.

Oh. Never mind.

The GOP will save us.
you mean the GOP now????? :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: i love the sarcasm, 8 months and almost zero tangible items through congress.
i let henrsarling , cornyn and cruze know weekly they are not carrying the ball
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Federal”